Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2012, 11:22   #1

Diesel fuel-sanity check

Hi. Just bought a Tartan 27-2, repowered with a Westerbeke diesel. The Westerbeke manual says I should use #2 diesel with a cetane rating 45 or better. I am wondering if I can use diesel fuel from an automobile gas station. I will check the cetane rating but otherwise I assume its okay.

I checked the pump at our marina and it said their diesel was 500ppm. The gas station said it is 30ppm. Sounds like the boat diesel fuel, in spite of its slightly higher cost (and lower taxes) is a lower quality fuel. Hence my thinking the auto fuel is okay.

Anyhow, I am asking because it is probably easier for me to carry a gallon to the pier than to manuever the boat to the gas pump (tight spot).

Thanks.
Alan
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Diesel fuel-sanity check

I believe the ppm rating you see is referring to the sulfur content of the fuel. Auto fuels are transitioning to an ultra low sulfur. All the diesel fuel comes out of the same refineries so am guessing that the marina just hasn't caught up yet with changing the label on the pumps.

The only difference is marine diesel is free from road taxes and is dyed red. Auto diesel pays taxes and is dyed yellow/green.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:32   #3

The ppm numbers are referring to the sulfur content. The auto diesel is low sulfur to meet the current polution regulations.

The cetane rating is similiar to the octane rating for gasoline. As far as I understand it a cetane of 45 is not a "high test" type of fuel.

My westerbeke runs fine on the low sulfur stuff. I did have to replace the lift pump after 10 years. You'd think the rubber would last longer!

The oil does seem to stay cleaner, not so much soot in it.
GASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:37   #4

Boat: Velamar/German Frers 27
Here, in Brazil, marine diesel is more stable. Specially important for boats that are not used often.
Gabrieln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 18:25   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

In the US at least, virtually all diesel whether it is over the road, farm machinery, construction machinery or marine all comes out of the same pipe.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 18:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASP View Post
The ppm numbers are referring to the sulfur content. The auto diesel is low sulfur to meet the current polution regulations.

The cetane rating is similiar to the octane rating for gasoline. As far as I understand it a cetane of 45 is not a "high test" type of fuel.

My westerbeke runs fine on the low sulfur stuff. I did have to replace the lift pump after 10 years. You'd think the rubber would last longer!

The oil does seem to stay cleaner, not so much soot in it.
Technically, the 500ppm diesel is low sulphur. The 30ppm is Ultra low sulphur. All road vehicles and boats are transitioning to the ULSD, except for some larger ships that just can't run on it. Marine diesel was allowed a little extra time (like a year) to complete the transition to ULSD, which is why for a short while you can find the different sulphur levels for sale at marine and auto vendors. Soon the marine will have to complete the transition too.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 05:55   #7

Good info guys.

Thank you for verifying my sanity check.

Alan Gilmore
agilmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel