Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 07:38   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Figure out what engine you need or want for your boat, get the service manual from the maker, go out and buy a core and a total rebuild kit, make friends with a diesel mechanic that can help you when you get stuck, and go at it. At the end of the day ( months ) you will have a working spare and know more than you ever wanted to.
Keep on doing it as a side job.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 12:02   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Iv got 3 diesels that need rebuilt here at the house...I will pay you 5.00 per hour to come learn and do most of the work pulling one of them ..rebuilding it and reinstalling it back into the machine with my tutelage to experience the satisfaction of the fruits of your labor hearing it fire off for the first time knowing "You did that"

There.... how is that for a cheap Mechanics School... Travel and accommodations not included in tuition fee.....Study material and tools will be provided.

You will learn the complete workings and principles of the most common diesel engine components used today along with a well grounded knowledge of troubleshooting and diagnosing common engine problems.
Course length 10 hours per day for 7 days..or 350 credits...credits are trasferabal to other schools..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 12:10   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Iv got 3 diesels that need rebuilt here at the house...I will pay you 5.00 per hour to come learn and do most of the work pulling one of them ..rebuilding it and reinstalling it back into the machine with my tutelage to experience the satisfaction of the fruits of your labor hearing it fire off for the first time knowing "You did that"

There.... how is that for a cheap Mechanics School...Travel and accommodations not included in tuition fee.....Study material and tools will be provided.
That's actullay the best offer I've ever seen. If anyone is really interested in getting to know thier diesels there is no better way than hands on. There should be at least a dozen takers jumping all over this offer from this board alone.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 15:30   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Suck, squeeze, bang, push, repeat.........any other questions consult the appropriate shop manual.

It's not, as they say, ROCKET SCIENCE. The most difficult thing I find on most small boat applications is finding access/comfortable postion to do the work if in the boat and getting it out of the boat if done ashore.

Most everything else is basic mechanical ability and being able to read a manual. If you don't have those pay to have the work done because you WILL just bugger it up..........m

P.S. Having a good set of tools helps a lot too.
Old 27-09-2009, 16:02   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Zap,squirt,squirt,squirt,,,,

Do check that your diesel is going zap (to start) then squirt to put the juice into the cylinder.

Past that and I need a new engine or a very good mechanic...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote