Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 14:25   #46

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Anyone seen a new development in Diesel OBs ?

I see this thread has not been updated in a while... I look out on Google to see if there have been any developments but doesn't look like anyone has brought a successul Diesel outboard to market except the one Yanmar use to make... anyone seen a new development in this area ?
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 14:50   #47

In the mid 90s susuki made a 25hp diesel outboard cost about 4x more the the standard gas 25 ho ob
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 15:03   #48

MEG are producing diesel outboards: Maritime Engineering Group, Inc

And Evinrude ETEC's will run on just about any fuel, including diesel : Multi-Fuel Engines | Any Time. Any Place. Any Fuel. | Evinrude.com

And an outfit called Marine Green is developing a propane outboard : Marine Green Propane Powered Outboard Motors Green Boating Propane Boat Motors
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 17:21   #49

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
And Evinrude ETEC's will run on just about any fuel, including diesel : Multi-Fuel Engines | Any Time. Any Place. Any Fuel. | Evinrude.com
Thanks Aussiesuede....That evinrude looks good but a 55hp perhaps too big for a Dink... I would pay extra not to have to mess with two different fuels for engines... you could fill the dink from the yacht's fuel tanks... guess I just need to plan on a bigger boat so I can carry a bigger Dink
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 14:56   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't beleive ETEC will run on diesel. They do accept a wide range of gasoline fuels lime kerosine and jet fuel.

Dave
Old 04-12-2010, 15:08   #51
cruiser

http://www.engine-cemberci.com/engine/RUGGERINI/5.pdf
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 16:02   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don't beleive ETEC will run on diesel. They do accept a wide range of gasoline fuels lime kerosine and jet fuel.

Dave
You are correct that the commercial version won't run well on standard diesel. The military version does run on standard diesel fuel, but isn't a "diesel motor" per se since it doesn't rely on high compression for it's combustion cycle. The only real-world difference between the military and commercial version is the software. And the reason software which would allow the commercial version to burn standard diesel isn't made available to consumers - is political in nature. The platform is definitely capable of burning diesel as-is, simply by applying the software used in the military version.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 00:57   #53

Can you supply this D27

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I had a Yanmar 27 hp diesel outboard on a 15ft RIB for about a year, around 1995. We were helping the distributor get the word out in the US. It was about the same weight, maybe a bit heavier than the 40hp 2 stroke it replaced. It was used hard for that time, and eventially, the drive casing cracked. I don't think it was the on the water that got it, but the engine was not supported properly during trailering, which was up and down the east coast of the US.

We replaced it with a 40hp 4 stroke Honda. The honda used about the same amount of fuel (for our use) as the Diesel, which was about 1/2 of what was used with the two-stroke. It was much quieter, and WAYYYYY faster (scary fast).

If I was a fisherman, or looking at a cruising boat application, I would consider the diesel. For any runabout or such, 4 stoke engines are much superior IMHO.

And Wheels, you are right, I htink that engine could have pushed a locomotive throught the water.

I think they pulled the sale of these in the US.

Chris
aagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 00:59   #54

send details of diesel outboards
Old 13-02-2011, 08:19   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I looked at the Ruggerinis and decided only the most adamant diesel fanatic would consider one. They weigh 178 pounds, have to be deafeningly loud with air cooling, and are geared to turn a rather small prop at 2400 rpm if I read the specs right. That means what ever boat they are pushing will have to reach 16 knots to allow the engine to reach best operating RPM (WAG) The cavitation plate limits the size of the prop. I suspect they just pulled a drive leg off a gas outboard.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 21:43   #56

Do you mean Ruggerinis making Diesel outboard engines

Tags
diesel, outboard