Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 17:31   #1

Diesel storing

I just finished cruising the Sea of Cortez in my 2004 Hunter 466. I just took it to San Carlos and had it hauled out for the summer (too hot). As I have never put the boat up in the yard for 4-5 months before I wondered what the opinions are on any preparation on storing the diesel fuel? I have it filled full (100 gallons) but wondered if there was any recommendations on additives or not. I've never had a fuel issue, just wondered.
rogerlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 18:56   #2

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Diesel storing

Keeping full is the most important, I like to use a biocide but if you just pour it in a full tank it's likely to clump and be worse than none. You normally add while filling to mix. So unless you have a fuel polishing system I would leave it be. 5 or 6 months is nothing for diesel, you should be fine with leaving it full.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 22:09   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have a way to circulate the fuel, I'd add a conditioner. Two I've had good service from are Algae-X and Archoil 6200. Since first using Archoil in my diesel pickup, I use it all the time in the boat. Better winter starts, the usual biocide, makes it easier for your primary filter to trap water and seems to give me about a 10% better economy.
Diesels don't usually seize, but you can pull the injectors on most engines and put some oil on the rings. Smokes on 1st startup.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 00:27   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

For the past 8+ years we have sailed, sit, sailed sit ect - now in the Med we sail 5-7months and sit 5-7 months -- when go in for the winter we fill the tanks and use a biocide - our best was wirth if you can find it - we had a couple of cans but ran out and now using starton -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel