Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2024, 13:35   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Dirty Diesel

Well that 's a huge improvement. Having been there its a horrible job but there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.

How about putting a bigger hatch in it to make access easier?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2024, 13:37   #17

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Use "Por 15 Cleaner/Degreaser". It will get it spotless. Clean pickup tubes also. Add "Biobor JF" to fuel.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2024, 13:40   #18

Bilge cleaner will also work.
Old 28-08-2024, 14:24   #19

Boat: Moody 376

That’s amazing progress. You’re engine and fuel system is gonna love you for this

Not to mention piece of mind

Maybe pick up a few stray rpms
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 10:27   #20

Boat: Hallber Rassy 352

Todays update and I thing this is the best I will get, I'll just wait for water to settle at the bottom and wipe everything out the best I can.
Finally I had to use some general purpose degreasant, and help with some pressure water (nothing special, just my water hose nozzle).

Pete7, enlarging the actual hatch might be a solution, I can maybe get a 30 x 30 cm square opening, the rest of the top side of the tank is sitting below the engine. But that might be something to plan in advance for the next time I decide to do this job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 14.05.22.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	293570   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-08-29 at 14.05.21.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	293571  

SVAmenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 11:50   #21

Don't forget the Biobor JF.
Old 29-08-2024, 12:45   #22

Hey kmacdonald, I assume you mean when fulling the tank again right?
I will do so. Anyway, I believe that brand is banned or at least not easy to get in the EU, so probably I will go for an alternative.
Locally I can get Datacol products, and also liquimoly and some other european brands
Old 29-08-2024, 12:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAmenita View Post
Hey kmacdonald, I assume you mean when fulling the tank again right?
I will do so. Anyway, I believe that brand is banned or at least not easy to get in the EU, so probably I will go for an alternative.
Locally I can get Datacol products, and also liquimoly and some other european brands
Yes. I use it every time I get fuel.
Old 29-08-2024, 12:58   #24

Yes, for sure, I plan to do the same. First time we got fuel, this happened haha. But will keep using obviously, I don't wont to get down there again anytime soon
Old 29-08-2024, 13:44   #25

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAmenita View Post
Todays update and I thing this is the best I will get, I'll just wait for water to settle at the bottom and wipe everything out the best I can.
Finally I had to use some general purpose degreasant, and help with some pressure water (nothing special, just my water hose nozzle).

Pete7, enlarging the actual hatch might be a solution, I can maybe get a 30 x 30 cm square opening, the rest of the top side of the tank is sitting below the engine. But that might be something to plan in advance for the next time I decide to do this job.

====================
impressive

congratulations on a job well done and peace of mind.

One comment based on my experience that may or not apply to you.
Same predicament with my first boat.
The pickup tube had a screen on the tip.
Dirt over time built a gooey, kind of plug that will act intermittently, as the suction will build, usually after an hour of motoring, and the engine will stall.
Since you have a good access now may be interesting to make sure you have a clean tube?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 17:30   #26

This tank appears to be in the bilge, probably in the top part of the keel?
Any low mounted tank is prone to water intrusion, something that should be thoroughly addressed before you refill. All the cover bolts, and the joint between the hullsides and the top deserve intense scrutiny, and appropriate sealing.
I’d add a larger diameter dip tube that sits right at the tanks bottom so that any future water and contaminants can be removed without dismantling.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57   #27

Boat: Baba 40

I’m sorry to hear you’re on the way to fixing the problem, as I was about to just in an take that horrible boat off your hands, and I wouldn’t have charged you that much to do so!

I had a similar issue with my boat; fuel sat too long before heading offshore. I’d topped off my 100g tank with 20 gallons of free stuff and all was well for maybe the first 10 hours of operation when I needed to motor. At that point, things went downhill to the point I couldn’t throttle up (seemed like I was dragging something, like maybe an old Chevy), then it just wouldn’t start. I went through multiple filters in the Racor and the primary with little luck. I opened the inspection port and could see funky floaters, which was an eye opener! In the end, I managed to convince a mobile fuel polishing company to fit me into their schedule and that cleared the whole system up immediately. My biggest concern was fouling the injector pump up, which would have really been pricey.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:29   #28

Boat: Hallberg Rassy

Good update photos and interesting to follow what sounds like a lot of work to clean your tank. Now that it is clean, you may like to check out a couple of products to help keep it clean. Earlier this year we installed a “Diesel Dipper” from a UK company Marine 16 into our HR and we are happy with it. I know they can ship from the UK or the EU as you prefer. We also use their DFC (diesel fuel complete) additive that covers diesel bug and other problems. Marine 16 is a small company and are very helpful and ready to give advice over the phone.
Another good product is the Conida Science Aquafighter, a sock that you hang in your fuel tank to absorb water.
There’s lots of products out there and these ones aren’t cheap but then if it is for a boat, what is.
Hope you can enjoy your plans for the boat once your engine fuel issue is fixed!
Gnilias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37   #29

I had a similar issue. Lots of gunk on bottom of the tank. After sailing it would kick up into the fuel and when I'd start the engine it would sputter and stop running.

I removed the tank and sent it out to a radiator shop. They soaked it for a couple of days in some chemicals and it came out clean as a whistle. Replaced fill hose and breather hose, reinstalled and changed filters. No issue since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6701.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	293597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6705.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	293598  

sfomarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags