Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 17:26   #31

Re: Discontinued MD17D Cooling Pump YIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It would be hard to part with but how much can you carry? There is no end to the spares you might want to carry. It would be nice to have a repository somewhere that you store spare parts while you are out cruising. Then some friend could fly good parts to you when they quit
My long distance cruising days are over. I will only be cruising in Southern NE... weekends and vacation cruises. I don't need to carry spares as one does when one "leaves" it all.

I don't think I will use this so I am going to offer it for sale here or on ebay. They are hard to come by.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 17:27   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It would be hard to part with but how much can you carry? There is no end to the spares you might want to carry. It would be nice to have a repository somewhere that you store spare parts while you are out cruising. Then some friend could fly good parts to you when they quit
Bit of a prob when they quit somewhere very remote.... Its far easier to find someone to fix things than it is to get the bits that you need even if they are posted.... they will probably end up being held by customs somewhere.

Sandero, I think it depends on where you are going and how long you plan to keep the engine. If it was me I would keep it.

Don't know about spare engine parts taking up a lot of space. My only two big bits ( starter motor and alternator) live under my bunk. The other stuff all lives in one locker and consists of a FW circ pump, 2 lift pumps, head and manifold gaskets, a couple of regulators, together with belts, impellors, filters etc.
I have another locker full of domestic plumbing fix it parts.

Ping the Parts man....

Edit .. Just saw your latest.... even if you are only 50 miles from home the ability to fix something is no bad thing.
Old 28-10-2015, 17:33   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Bit of a prob when they quit somewhere very remote.... Its far easier to find someone to fix things than it is to get the bits that you need even if they are posted.... they will probably end up being held by customs somewhere.

Sandero, I think it depends on where you are going and how long you plan to keep the engine. If it was me I would keep it.

Don't know about spare engine parts taking up a lot of space. My only two big bits ( starter motor and alternator) live under my bunk. The other stuff all lives in one locker and consists of a FW circ pump, 2 lift pumps, head and manifold gaskets, a couple of regulators, together with belts, impellors, filters etc.
I have another locker full of domestic plumbing fix it parts.

Ping the Parts man....

Edit .. Just saw your latest.... even if you are only 50 miles from home the ability to fix something is no bad thing.
The rebuild is likely the seal and I have a great local place with good prices and fast turn around... which negates the need for carry this part as a spare. The engine is not supported by Volvo any more and only the basic parts are available I think.
Old 25-05-2017, 13:10   #34

Boat: Najad 343

Did you sell the pump or is it still available?
__fdom__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 17:33   #35

No I have it as a spare... Sorry You can find them used... at some Volvo dealers... but you may need to get it rebuilt... that happened to me and then I rebuilt the original one.
Old 27-07-2017, 21:43   #36

Boat: Najad 343

Got mine rebuilt by a company in Germany. Not cheap but good quality
__fdom__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 00:53   #37

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am now in the same situation as the OP Sandero.

I have a MD17C fresh water recirculation pump with worn out bearings. I am in Greece but have searched on line worldwide and cannot find a used or new replacement. I can return the pump to the UK and get it rebuilt for a princely sum which I might well do but as I am an engineer and I have a friend here in Greece with a hydraulic press I was thinking to maybe do it myself. Looking at the pump it is not like any of the automotive pumps that I have rebuilt before as there is no retaining nut for the pulley and it looks like the shaft is not in the centre of the pulley (unless this is just my bad eye sight!). It also appears to have an impeller that is not made of metal but possibly some material such as nitrile - so I'm worried that I might damage this impeller if I try to remove it. So my question is - has anyone actually seen one of these pumps being taken apart? Is the pulley an interference fit on the shaft? Does the impeller need to be removed as you would on an automotive pump to pull the shaft?

Maybe Sandero could ask the guys who rebuilt his pumps for me as it would be great if I could fix my pump now rather than have to send it to the UK.

Any advise or experience will be most gratefully received.
Vonasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonasi View Post
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I am now in the same situation as the OP Sandero.

I have a MD17C fresh water recirculation pump with worn out bearings. I am in Greece but have searched on line worldwide and cannot find a used or new replacement. I can return the pump to the UK and get it rebuilt for a princely sum which I might well do but as I am an engineer and I have a friend here in Greece with a hydraulic press I was thinking to maybe do it myself. Looking at the pump it is not like any of the automotive pumps that I have rebuilt before as there is no retaining nut for the pulley and it looks like the shaft is not in the centre of the pulley (unless this is just my bad eye sight!). It also appears to have an impeller that is not made of metal but possibly some material such as nitrile - so I'm worried that I might damage this impeller if I try to remove it. So my question is - has anyone actually seen one of these pumps being taken apart? Is the pulley an interference fit on the shaft? Does the impeller need to be removed as you would on an automotive pump to pull the shaft?

Maybe Sandero could ask the guys who rebuilt his pumps for me as it would be great if I could fix my pump now rather than have to send it to the UK.

Any advise or experience will be most gratefully received.
here is the place I get my volvo parts via eBay from Greece
https://www.ebay.com/usr/aftermarket...53.m1438.l2754
Hope it helps they seem to have about everything volvo
Old 02-02-2019, 01:30   #39

Thanks for the link newhaul but they do not have the pump or a service kit for it. It is now an obsolete Volvo part.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the link newhaul but they do not have the pump or a service kit for it. It is now an obsolete Volvo part.
I likely can get it locally at my local source but not sure till I check in about 6 hours when they open and its also half a world away from you.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:05   #41

Thanks for checking. As mentioned earlier in this thread though, if there is one on a shelf somewhere in the world it will be such old stock that the seals will be useless so it will need a rebuild anyway. I might as well try to rebuild mine then if that is the case.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:07   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for checking. As mentioned earlier in this thread though, if there is one on a shelf somewhere in the world it will be such old stock that the seals will be useless so it will need a rebuild anyway. I might as well try to rebuild mine then if that is the case.
understood however being in Seattle one of the boating capitol of the world there are literally hundreds of the old md series engines its likely to find one that is rebuilt sitting on the a store shelf . If you want me to look around just let me know .
Old 02-02-2019, 08:32   #43

I'm getting some quotes to rebuild at the moment so hopefully I won't be needing to ship from Seattle but thanks for the kind offer anyway.

I'm still interested in hearing from someone who has taken apart one of these pumps as I'd prefer to rebuild it myself and save the labour costs but I just don't want to destroy it in my first attempt just because of a lack of some previous experience from someone else.

Attached are some images of what I am dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3502.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	184986   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3503.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	184987  

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3504.jpg