Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2013, 04:15   #1

Disposal of used oil.

This may seem crazy but....
I live on a small island and there are no facilities for safely disposing of used oil. I am not comfortable just dumping it on the ground as is the norm here
I have my beloved old Yanmar, and was wondering if it would be damaged by mixing this used oil into the fuel.
This is a mix of used used motor oil, high quality breathing air compressor synthetic oil, and all of the oil from the boat oil changes.
The accumulation is starting to grow and I guess I could just burn it, or burn it in boat.
Thoughts ? Thanks
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 04:26   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Disposal of used oil.

I am in that industry. More detail, please.
  • How much
  • Where
Old 31-12-2013, 04:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Disposal of used oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti325v View Post
This may seem crazy but....
I live on a small island and there are no facilities for safely disposing of used oil. I am not comfortable just dumping it on the ground as is the norm here
I have my beloved old Yanmar, and was wondering if it would be damaged by mixing this used oil into the fuel.
This is a mix of used used motor oil, high quality breathing air compressor synthetic oil, and all of the oil from the boat oil changes.
The accumulation is starting to grow and I guess I could just burn it, or burn it in boat.
Thoughts ? Thanks
Should be fine.. strain first and just stick to 20%..
A guy in the UK was running his car on the used cooking oil from his Fish and Chip shop...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 04:35   #4

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I worked on the design of a system that actually did just what you are asking. It is the system found on Generac generators that "seeps" crank case oil in to the combustion chambers while replacing it with fresh. This way the generators could be left running for months on end without any oil changes.

A small amount will burn without smoke, but eventually you will find an amount that causes blue smoke and a bad smell. It can be done. Properly filtered with moisture abated, you could probably get away with a max of 10% mix. That would be able 2 gallons in a 20 gallon tank. I would probably stick with a 5% mix. The next question would be how much fuel do you go through?

Folks have been doing this with "older" diesel engines (with straight exhaust systems) for a while with no ill effects.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 04:54   #5

Thanks guys, I am happy this question was taken seriously.
Further info....
Little tiny island of the coast of Vietnam.
I have about 50 gallons, 200+ liters, of this mix of oils.
Straight exhaust.
I easily consume more fuel then I need to run 5% dilution to burn the old stuff and stay ahead of what we generate.
It may not be environmentally ideal, air pollution wise, but my only other options are to burn it in open air, or to dump it.
I REALLY do not want to hurt my engine....still ticking with 31,000+ hours on it. So if it may do this 6 cylinder turboed mid 80`s engine any harm it is not an option.
If it is good for the ol girl, I will keep her on a steady diet.
Dewatering the oil could be problematic though.
Thanks
Old 31-12-2013, 05:12   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
You could email one of the tech guys for one of the "big oil" companies. Their tech support guys would probably enjoy researching an answer. I do have several friends that make their own biodiesel fuel from just about any type of cooking oil etc they can find. Maybe email one of thise companies thst sell the equipment and get their 2 cents as well. I did read that its actually good as the motor oil helps provide lubrication that sulfur used to (where we are everything is now ultra low sulfur) but many say they filter the waste oil to 2 microns and run it through a water separator prior.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 09:45   #7

2 micron filter..that will have to be done under pressure I am pretty sure ! I have a few around.
Water should settle out by itself over time I imagine...Have to get some info about that part as well.
I had a feeling it might do some good for the old girl, I am concerned about the mixed in synthetic compressor oil though.
Thanks welcome more info !
Old 31-12-2013, 09:53   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Really depends on the type of synthetic, alot of compressor oils are group5 vegetable based synthetics, should burn nicely! Not so sure about a gtl synthetic but they burn it heaters all the time. If anything it should give it a kick! Impressed with the hours you have thats great! Might have heat the oil to get it through the filter but once mixed in your fuel its going through a pretty fine filter before the pump/ injectors etc. Maybe mixing the waste oil with diesel fuel in a smaller qty running it through the filter will help it flow or filter easier before going into your tank and potentially clogging your main filters. Im curious how it goes keep us posted!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 16:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

My suggestion would be, as Dulcesuenos says, to mix it with diesel oil and then run it through a 30 micron filter and then 10 micron filter. You could then have a 2 micron filter as your secondary filter before the primary, on engine filter.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 17:01   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

We have observed commercial prawners simply tipping a few gallons of drain oil into their (capacious) fuel tanks. No pre-treatment at all. Can't comment on how this affected the lifetimes of their engines, but it didn't seem to be of concern to these chaps, and apparently didn't clog up their filters.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-12-2013, 17:03   #11

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

When I was working selling agricultural tractors and harvesters several of our clients with large fleets burned their used engine oil in the tractors diesel fuel, If I remember right the mix was 15% used oil. I don't know if they were including any other used oils ( trans. hyd. etc) in the mix.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 17:12   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Many ships run motor oil (while engine is running) through a centrifuge full time. Output goes back into the carter except some is mixed with fuel and burned. New oil is in a tank and automatically added.

With the amount of oil you have, it would take me a long long time to burn it all when adding 5%. Here in Panama, locals take any old oil, filter it and put it into their cars (regardless of which type of oil it is).

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 18:08   #13

I have primed fuel filters on warm diesels with new motor oil for years much less chance of contamination, these engine did not have a lift pump so would take for ever to bleed system otherwise and they did not smoke at all! the above suggestions about mixing with fuel first will help the particulates fall out of suspension which I think is what causes the smoke, also agree with the 15% without any problems other than maybe cold weather starts but only because the oil does not atomize as well. I know some one that is running a 50% mix in a dodge truck but it does have a good bit of black smoke I suggested that he mix it with fuel in a tank and allow it to set have a bottom drain
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17   #14

Hi Guys:
Thanks for the great advise, suggestions and information.
I simply cannot afford to hurt the old yanni as parts are limited in availability...No more pistons, rings, valves, liners....Currently looking for Chinese sources. (Open to suggestions)
At the same time I cannot simply dump the oil on the ground.
Jeez how did I miss diluting the oil to get it through the filters ???
I have a background in engineering !
This is all actually leading me to a great idea.
I am pretty well respected here ( In particular on environmental issues) considering I am not a native.
I will be inquiring with the local governemnt here about setting up some kind of oil reclaimation program, (We get all of our power from 2 diesel generators and I image they could easily consume all of the waste oil that is being dumped into the land and sea currently.
Gelling is not a problem, we are in the tropics and the population of the island is only 3500.
I am sure a huge filtration system could be set up for cheap here,( Gotta be info out there for this sort of thing) and would pay for itself in saved fuel costs alone...(Lots of fishing boats come in for maintenance)
Electricity is 8X mainland price.
It will take some beating on the commies heads, (Vietnam bureaucracy cannot see a good idea) but I have the will and support of some big guys in the government.
Wow...this could really go some where. Thanks !
Old 01-01-2014, 09:11   #15

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Reclamation is a great idea. I live in an area where reclamation centers are at most auto parts stores, yet a fair amount of the waste seems to find its way into the back country. Seems it is easier for some to toss it out the window in a jug than drive 5 miles to a proper disposal facility.

Tying the reclamation effort in to something like lowering the cost of electricity (even a little) would go a ways to getting near 100% result!
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil