Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 04:41   #1

Boat: Top Hat 25, modified junk rig
DIY Paper Gaskets

Hi,
Ive removed the front of my water pump to inspect the impeller(10HP Altona diesel), its a metal impeller, which i presume is good? better than the rubber ones?
Anyway, the paper gasket was destroyed on removal, is it possible to make your own gaskets? Any tips on how to cut them?(maybe with a scapel?), & is any other stuff like liquid gasket needed?

There is also a slight build-up of white scale/salt/calcium(i dont know) inside the pump housing & the hoses, whats the best way to clean or remove this?
Thanks in advance
TH
'Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though chequered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live their lives in the grey twilight that knows not victory or defeat' Theodore Roosevelt
TopHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:18   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Paper gaskets are relatively easy to make. The biggest problem is having a material of the proper thickness. On some applications the thickness is quite critical. If you have a sample of the old gasket , take it to your nearest auto parts store and buy some gasket making material of the same thickness. I've found mostly by trial and error, let's face it mostly error, that water pumps can be quite touchy about gasket thickness. Too thick of a material can let the water pass between the impeller and the housing and it may not pump enough water of none at all, especially on self priming pumps. I can't speak to your particular engine. I cut out a section of the gasket material from the sheet approximately the size of the pumps outer dimensions and tape it in place over the gasket surface. I then tap on it with a smooth faces hammer around the entire gasket surface. This leave a nice imprint of the surface including the bolt holes on the reverse side of the material. I then cut the outside to size with a pair of scissors and the inside with a razor knife or Xacto knife. I like to cut the bolt holes using the appropriate size "lip and spur" or brad point drill bit. These bits have a centering point and the cutting edges are on the outside of the bit so they tend to cut a clean hole. I actually keep a good supply of various thickness gasket material in my spares kit. They cost only a few dollars a sheet and will save the day if you're stuck needing a gasket. I also have a sheet sheet of high temperature silicone gasket material. It can be used to replace blown exhaust system gaskets and prevent carbon monoxide leakage. That might just save a life.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58   #3

Charts, especially British, make terrific paper gaskets. Use open water sections first.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
Hi,

There is also a slight build-up of white scale/salt/calcium(i dont know) inside the pump housing & the hoses, whats the best way to clean or remove this?
Thanks in advance
TH
Try soaking the parts in vinegar for a few hours and then rinse in fresh water. It should remove all the scaley stuff.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
I made a water pump gasket out of a magazine cover. It leaked so I made another one, this time melting candle wax onto it, intending to replace it when I got to port. 2 years later it's still there and working great.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:42   #6

Send a message via AIM to iwsteel
i lucked out and found a gasket material kit at my friends napa store....it has various thickness and various materials...it is quite complete. cork teflon ect ect. i think it was like 5 bux
iwsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15   #7

Using the round end of a ball-peen or mechanics hammer on the gasket material over the bolt holes defines them nicely.
Old 08-08-2010, 15:33   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I use a small ball-pein

Using the rounded end, with light tapping you can actually cut the gasket and holes...it takes some practice......but is an amazing skill you can show your friends.......HMMMMMMMMMM I might just make a how to movie on that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zarley View Post
Using the round end of a ball-peen or mechanics hammer on the gasket material over the bolt holes defines them nicely.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 19:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
On a related topic:

Do you folks ever use any type of sealant (formagasket, permatex sp?) where you have a paper gasket?

The reason I ask: I had never used or seen a sealant used in addition to the paper gasket (I have a Jabsco raw water pump) - was rebuilding the pump a few days ago and - for once, to do things right - thought I'd refer to the engine (Perkins MT80) shop manual for the parts break out... They seem to suggest (I say that just in case I have misunderstood the British English terminology) the use of just such a sealant in addition to the paper gasket.

BTW, thanks for all the gasket building hints - The cheapest paper gaskets I was able to locate on-line were US $4 - Certainly not a bargain

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15   #10

I've come to like the silicone-based gasket sealants if no other is specified. There's a fighting chance that you'll save the paper gasket next time you disassemble.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote