Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2023, 16:41   #61

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Do engine fires happen? Naturally aspirated, small diesels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
To which "regulatory requirements" do you refer ?
Here in the US, we are required to carry a certain number of fire extinguishers that meet certain A/B/C requirements. Installed systems can adjust those numbers. But, "good" extinguishers that don't meet those requirements don't count. I, for instance, have a portable Halon cylinder that came with the boat -- meets no legal requirements. No problems, just carry the count that's required. Similarly, water mist extinguishers are a great solution for the galley (I don't have one) and they also meet no regulatory requirements.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 18:29   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Similarly, water mist extinguishers are a great solution for the galley (I don't have one) and they also meet no regulatory requirements.
So no regulations against tube extinguishers ?

Do you realize that water is the last thing you should use on a fat fire on the galley stove or on any fire involving alcohols stoves ?
Old 24-11-2023, 19:09   #63

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Do you realize that water is the last thing you should use on a fat fire on the galley stove or on any fire involving alcohols stoves ?
Perhaps there are extinguishers which actually produce a "fog" of water?
I don't know if such exist, but a good fog of water can remove the heat/kill the fire without splashing.
Anything but that Bicarbonate stuff.
While working on a boat that had an empty CO2 system, (twin V8 Detroits,) I told the owner that recharging it would be a great idea.
Saying to him, (tongue-in cheek,) that if he ever fired off a couple of dry powder units around the engines it would be easier to sell the boat instead of dealing with the clean-up.
Old 24-11-2023, 19:43   #64

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
So no regulations against tube extinguishers ?

I don't know what a tube extinguisher is, so can't comment. A brief google leads me to believe that they shouldn't be prohibited, but may not (probably not?) meet any carriage requirement. No worries, scatter 3 basic units aboard somewhere and the Coasties will be happy (and if you need them, you have them!).

I surely do know that water is generally bad for a fat or oil. However, the new mist (fog?) type water extinguishers are a different kettle. They are expensive and heavy, i know that. They can't freeze, so that's bad. They use deionized water and because of that are rated for C fires. They aren't rated for B, but from what I understand are not prone to spreading the oil like water does (yes, I know it's water, but it is such an atomized water that it doesn't provide a layer for the oil to float on). They have zero lasting impact, even to electronics (they are used in data rooms, for instance) or paper (they are used in libraries, I believe). I installed a very large (and expensive) one in a very high power (multiple mega-watts) diesel generator plant for the Navy, specifically because it wouldn't hurt the engines or the electrical panels.

I've heard enough about using them aboard that my interest is piqued. I've also seen enough about the cost, size, and freeze issues that I'm not terribly interested.

Good info on them in this article. https://www.practical-sailor.com/saf...e-against-fire

Not sure I agree on alcohol. I have barely even seen an alcohol stove since my father converted our old boat to propane in the 70's. But I do recall that my mother made a point of having a full kettle on the stove as a fire fighting precaution. My understanding (as a barely conscious teen) was that the water would rapidly dilute the alcohol so that it was no longer flammable. As an engineer, the story is credible, but I have no real world experience and it is such a rarely used fuel that there isn't much "word on the street."
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 23:06   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Don't throw away your Halon extinguisher. Weigh it. Check if the weight is right. Write the date and weight on the extinguisher. You are good to go.

Repeat every couple of years, don't erase the prior weight record - just write the new date and weight beneath it. That shows a record of your diligence.

I have four Halon extinguishers on my boat that are over 35 years old. I have been boarded by the USCG twice. Both times they looked at the extinguishers, saw the date record and said nothing.

If you must throw it away send it to me instead. I'll pay shipping.
You might want to check the laws if you are cruising a distance, halon is banned in many countries and I understand you can be fined for having it on board.
paul2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 01:15   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

QUOTE=Jetx;3844856]How about the new (ish) Blazecut type extinguisher tubes?...[/QUOTE]

The “BlazeCut T series” [tube style] systems use HFC-227ea clean extinguishing agent [a Halon 1301 replacement], commonly known as FM200 or MH227, suitable for ABC and Electrical fires.
When the system is exposed to temperatures above 105°C [221°F], the tube ruptures, and releases the agent into the enclosure.
These automatic systems do not replace the requirements for portable extinguishers - they are 'in addition to'.

HFC-227ea CLEAN AGENT ➥ https://www.aft.net/wp-content/uploa...Data-Sheet.pdf

HFC-227EA (FM-200) ➥ https://www.suppression.com/catalog/...c-227ea-fm-200

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 07:39   #67

Boat: Beneteau 423

A friend had a diesel generator explode and go on fire from a runaway situation with sump oil acting as an uncontrolled fuel source.Presumably the temperature reached the.flash point of the oil vapour.
Knowing how to deal with this is important.
We used to use tin cans half full of diesel and a rag as outdoor beacons. They light quite easily.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 13:13   #68

Here’s one that qualifies as an engine fire as the result of monumental stupidity. At a big commercial shipyard where I was working, the yards engineering team installed a shiny new 20 KVA Koehler genset but had a lot of trouble getting it to start and succeeded in burning out the “pull in “ coil of the fuel run solenoid which they bypassed (hot Wired), finally got it running, loaded it up and left it to run while they went for lunch. At some point the garden hose supplying the raw water circuit was disconnected (the vessel was out of the water) and the engine started to overheat with no ability to shut itself down due to the hotwired solenoid. First thing to go was probably the exhaust hose and Aqualock or possibly the the jabsco impeller but to its everlasting credit that little 100hp Yanmar stuck to 1800 rpm until the paint burnt off the cylinder head, the heat exchanger and melted the wiring harness which shorted out ...... and still it ran but just huge amounts of smoke from the burning wiring. At some point, that heroic engine seized up and stopped ....and the engineering guys came back from lunch to a smoking wreck of an engine in a dark dead superyacht...... no fire; new genset, copious excuses, (evil spirits got a mention) and finally the forensic investigation revealed the $30,000 foulup. Not long after that expensive lesson, another superyacht in the same yard was destroyed by a combination of a fire and the overzealous fire fighters who FILLED the superyacht with retardant foam through the portholes. No cause for that fire was ever found but electrical was suspected.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 16:59   #69

Boat: CHB Tri-Cab 35ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
Responding to a fire, our engine ignited a diesel leak. It was a good thing we were able to extinguish the fire engine on fire 🔥

A return hose met the exhaust manifold at the head. Needless to say we were out of service.

So yes it can happen.
In a similar incident to NorthCoastJoe, the seawater intake was blocked and in seconds the very hot exhaust burned through the hose, making only a "different" noise and although I shut down within maybe 20 seconds (also disconnecting the batteries), my only "damage" to my trawler engine room was messy diesel exhaust in the engine room. However, since the boat has two 150 gallon fuel tanks in the engine room, one within a foot or so of the hot exhaust, I feel fortunate there was no fire. But, there was also a wooden bulkhead nearby and other myriad items that could easily have ignited.

Thus, an engine room fire has more ways to start than igniting combustible vapors. That straight exhaust could easily be very deadly.

Thanks,

Armand
armand.seguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine