Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 12:05   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Do I have the Wrong Dipstick for my 4-107?

So I seem to have an oil level problem. When the level on the dipstick reads well above the high mark, the oil level actually seems to be low. I tried sucking all the oil out the dipstick tube and got some. Drained and changed the filter. Then did some really intense boat yoga and pulled the sump drain plug. I have a total of less than a gallon of oil and I suspect my valve noise issue was related to low oil level, and all the while the dipstick reads over filled. Last time I ran the engine, oil pressure was a bit low, about 24psi at just a bit above idle. It usually runs about 40psi.

My plan is to refill with 4-1/2 quarts and see where it comes up to on the dipstick. Meanwhile it would be really cool if someone could tell me how long their dipstick is and the dipstick tube. The guy I bought the boat from owns a yard and is what you might call a budget oriented person. I suspect at some point he put the engine in and it was a pull from a Morgan OI or similar, because the serial number says built in I think 1973 or 74 and the boat was built in 1979. No tach or water temp gauge connected, only oil pressure. Yeah I am getting to that one of these days. Anyway he well could have just scavenged any old dipstick and tube for this engine with little regard to whether it was identical to original or not, and clearly the dipstick is not reading anywhere close. It feels like it is scraping across the bottom of the sump when fully inserted.

The length from tip to cap is 6-7/16". LOA is 9-5/16".The number on the dipstick looks like a part number and is 31786424. The closest part number I could find online was 31786412 and was a dipstick for several Massey Ferguson tractors and I know that many or most have Perkins engines. I am still researching but if anybody has hard data from a 4-107 or 4-108 it would be appreciated. I can't run around with a 50 year old engine with the oil level a big mystery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DipstickNumber.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	281429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dipstick01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	281430