Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 17:18   #1

Boat: Simpson Cloud 12
Do I need to drain oil before removing crankshaft driven raw water pump?

I’ve got a Nanni 3.75he with a Johnson F4B-9 water pump">raw water pump. The pump is leaking out the shaft seal, indicating it needs to be rebuilt.

My understanding is that this pump is crankshaft driven and the engine oil lubricates the spinny bits.

Do I need to drain some oil before I remove the raw water pump, or does the oil naturally sit below the level of the pump when the engine is at rest?
workmaster2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:42   #2

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch
Re: Do I need to drain oil before removing crankshaft driven raw water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmaster2n View Post
I’ve got a Nanni 3.75he with a Johnson F4B-9 raw water pump. The pump is leaking out the shaft seal, indicating it needs to be rebuilt.

My understanding is that this pump is crankshaft driven and the engine oil lubricates the spinny bits.

Do I need to drain some oil before I remove the raw water pump, or does the oil naturally sit below the level of the pump when the engine is at rest?
No you don't have to drain any oil. I have this engine and have pulled the raw water pump with no issues.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump