Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 22:40   #1

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio
Do reman Mercruiser motors come with any documentation?

Greetings all - The result of the epic saga of my engine knock was that i found a different yard to do the work, and had them install a reman Mercruiser supposedly rebuilt by Mercury. It is the 5.0 Alpha, with carb, no fuel injection. When i picked up the boat, i asked for any documentation that came with the motor, and they said there was no literature or documentation that comes with the motor from the distributor. I found it hard to believe that there is nothing for the customer to read or refer to with a reman motor done by Mercury. No documented break-in procedure, no listing of serial number, no specs on oil, plugs, etc...

Are they telling the truth about the situation, or is something fishy here? if there is supposed to be some written matter to give the consumer, what is it? What can i specifically tell them to get from the company and give me.

If there is no paperwork meant to pass on to the end user, can anyone point me to any tips on breakin, specs, etc... for that motor?

Thanks
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 22:50   #2

Re: Do reman Mercruiser motors come with any documentation?

Contact the "distributor" or Mercruiser. They may be able to help.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 11:19   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I would certainly try and find out the source of the engine, though it seems it might be moot at this point. If they won't tell you I'd be leery of their reasons, but what can you do...

At any rate, there is an operators manual here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...p4atqyW9KrGW9w

that provides the information you request. The break-in procedure outlined in it is important, as is the engine oil recommendations.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 12:05   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

My friend got a little card with his new engine that had breakin and oil change info on it. (Vary rpm, 10 hrs to first change)

his may have been a jasper reman tho.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 14:58   #5

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

is there any way to figure out if it is in fact a motor rebuilt by Mercury? I dont see the 5.0 on their website. The dealer said it was rebuilt by Mercury, but i dont see a listing for that motor anywhere online.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 16:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
is there any way to figure out if it is in fact a motor rebuilt by Mercury? I dont see the 5.0 on their website. The dealer said it was rebuilt by Mercury, but i dont see a listing for that motor anywhere online.

Mercury includes a warranty on the rebuilt motors. Are there any numbers on the block ? You may have to research where they are located for your particular year or small block series motor. Again, Mercury will know where to look.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 18:48   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from ny View Post
The 5.0 is listed in the owners manual linked to above. The model and serial number are usually listed on the air intake cowling, if you got a short or long block, or a complete motor rebuilt by Mercruiser that didn't come with the cowling, there should be an aluminum tag pinned to the block on the starter side at the back where the flywheel housing bolts to the block, that has the model and serial number stamped on it. A reputable rebuilder/installer should make sure that there is some kind of tag in the same location.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 13:23   #8
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

This is common practice where an engine has been sourced from somewhere other than the agreed franchise holder for your area (especially with Mercruiser). You will probably find it is a new engine but called reman and serial number removed to protect the supplier.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 13:40   #9

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
This is common practice where an engine has been sourced from somewhere other than the agreed franchise holder for your area (especially with Mercruiser). You will probably find it is a new engine but called reman and serial number removed to protect the supplier.
Unfortunately likely true. The mercury remans come with a 1 year warranty so you should get a card. They are a lot more expensive normally then other re builders thou. Some distributors used to sell both the official reman and other ones adding to the confusion, thou mercury has more vertically integrated distribution so this may be more uncommon now.

If you can get a serial number off the block you should be able to trace it.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, documentation, men, motor