Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 19:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I think it is time to revisit this question.
My Son and one of his friends are running just about anything that you can think of through their diesel trucks with no problem. I talked to his friend about dumping 7 qts of drain oil in the boats tank from time to time and he said that there is nothing to worry about. The reason I keep thinking about this question is to try to take care of this waste without poluting . The added benefit is a extra hour of run time in the boat.
Old 04-03-2008, 19:50   #32

Gunner,
What's you total fuel tankage?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 19:55   #33

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
I don't think you would cause the engine much trouble running used engine oil at the dilution you are talking about, but I don't think the risk is worth the reward. The thing I would be concerned about would be your fuel filters, there will be a lot more material that will clog your filters more often. You could plan on changing your fuel filters more often as a precaution, but then what do you do with the used filters. You are back to your original dilemma of what to do with them. Store your used oil until you find a place to dispose of it properly, not that big a deal.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 21:14   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well if someone is doing it and they are clocking up big miles with big engines and having no issues, how can you disagree with that. It is these scenario's that set a lot of the knowledge out there. So I would say go for it. The main concern I still have is the carbon and metal particles. But I think if you ensure the filters are good quality and fine ratings, then you shoudl be OK. It just means you have black fuel is all.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 00:58   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Like John Davidson, I’d tend to err on the side of caution, and not burn used (read dirty) lube oil in my engine. The obvious “up” sides don’t override the potential “down” sides, in my intuitive judgement.

Pat: I’d expect Gunner’s Irwin 61' to carry something like 250 US Gallons of fuel, perhaps (I forget) in 2 tanks (125 gal ea); so the dilution rate (±125:1 ?) is pretty good - still ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Pat: I’d expect Gunner’s Irwin 61' to carry something like 250 US Gallons of fuel, perhaps (I forget) in 2 tanks (125 gal ea); so the dilution rate (±125:1 ?) is pretty good - still ...
thanks Gord
Gunner, I could see mixing it at a 5% ratio. It'll cause nasty filters and more smoke.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:30   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We hold 238 gallons in two tanks. I have filters that go 30 micron to 10 micron to 2 micron. If I understand correctly .. if particles are smaller than 2 micron they will not hurt the engine.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
If I understand correctly .. if particles are smaller than 2 micron they will not hurt the engine.
I concur.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:34   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
One big difference between Gunner's situation and his son's is fuel turnover. It can make quite a difference in the way things react in the tank. What kind of reaction will the soot deposits in the used oil cause in the fuel tanks when allowed to sit over time? Will it cause increased precipitation of tar?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:25   #40

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
it's taken 37 responses to the original post (thus far) when the first one should have been sufficient.
Dilution is not the solution!
This shouldn't be a can-you-get-away-with-it issue.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:20   #41
jzk

Did you know that an estimated 470,000 - 3.8 million tons of petroleum oil seeps into our oceans on an annual basis naturally? How do you suppose the Ocean has been dealing with this "pollution" for the last few million years?

Global Marine Oil Pollution Information Gateway • Facts • Natural oil seeps
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:32   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have to put my .02 in here. Why, even though large trucks may do it or a friend of a friend mother's brother does it, does this even cross your mind?

Sure...it may be OK....but to intentionally contaminate ones fuel on a vessel makes no sense to me.......While aboard Tugs....it NEVER entered the Port Engineers' or my mind.

I also see a problem where people "over filter their fuel".....some of those little lift pumps just can't handle all the filters that people put on them. BTW the record I saw on a small Yanmar was 4.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:17   #43

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Did you know that an estimated 470,000 - 3.8 million tons of petroleum oil seeps into our oceans on an annual basis naturally?
Is this really the the excuse you'd prefer to use to rationalize pollution?

Won't make much of a defense to liability not that liability is a basis for disposing of it properly.

I would like to think that, particularly among boaters, this is the anthesis of how we should be treating the environment
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:22   #44
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Is this really the the excuse you'd prefer to use to rationalize pollution?

Won't make much of a defense to liability not that liability is a basis for disposing of it properly.

I would like to think that, particularly among boaters, this is the anthesis of how we should be treating the environment
It is just something to consider when discussing pollution. One should always try to understand exactly what is pollution and what isn't rather than patting yourself on the back for taking meaningless measures that accomplish nothing and having a big parade for yourself on how you "saved the planet."

I posted plain and undisputed fact. A gallon of waste oil poured in the Ocean 25 miles offshore has no more negative effect on the environment than if I peed in the Ocean while standing on the beach. Both of which are illegal I might add.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 19:28   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
A gallon of waste oil poured in the Ocean 25 miles offshore has no more negative affect
Negitive effect or negative impact? I think there is a difference. You would certainly negatively affect the environment. On land, one gallon of oil is capable of contaminating an acre of land. In the ocean, you will be killing what ever is living in that area the gallon of oil contaminates. That is certainly a negative affect, but Does that have a negative impact? maybe not.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil