Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2021, 07:22   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Drill a whole in my shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBumm View Post
BTW, drilling a hole through a SS prop shaft is NOT all that hard.
He's talking about doing it underwater.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:13   #32

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

Yes, I know that the original poster was talking about drilling underwater, but then others jumped in talking about drill presses, etc., which I was presuming they didn’t intend to do underwater. Just trying to be helpful.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:24   #33

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This ^^

Lock tab washers were quite common in older engines and vibrating mechanisms - they work.
Got 'em all over my airplane and bits don't fall off (mostly)

They need to be used correctly, just like any other locking mechanism. That means having enough tab bent over, and bent in the correct place. They are not reusable.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:27   #34

Boat: 2004 Hunter 44ac

I raced motorcycles for many years. The countershaft sprocket on our bikes had a lacking washer instead of a cotter pin. This is the shaft that comes out of the engine and drives the chain that drives the wheel. Race bikes produce lots more horsepower than a sailboat motor, and they are ALWAYS ridden hard. This design worked when used properly and maintained. My guess is that it is even stronger than a cotter pin. No reason it will not work in the future for you if used porperly.
Ltfdrebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 10:36   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

That's an almost impossible job underwater...

What I would do would be to put the new prop back on and fit a locking washer between the prop and the nut, and once the nut has been cinched up tight with the locking washer sandwiched between the two, there is a little square side on this washer that now needs to be hammered down flat against the side of the nut (a flat part of the nut) and this will surely keep your nut and prop from coming off until you need to haul out and repaint or whatever.....

I think it might also be worthwhile putting some loctite on the nut thread just before you tighten it home on the shaft....
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 10:45   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
That's an almost impossible job underwater...

What I would do would be to put the new prop back on and fit a locking washer between the prop and the nut, and once the nut has been cinched up tight with the locking washer sandwiched between the two, there is a little square side on this washer that now needs to be hammered down flat against the side of the nut (a flat part of the nut) and this will surely keep your nut and prop from coming off until you need to haul out and repaint or whatever.....

I think it might also be worthwhile putting some loctite on the nut thread just before you tighten it home on the shaft....
Assuming he decides against drilling the shaft for a cotter pin, the OP only needs to purchase the prop and nut kit that is standard equipment on his boat. Trying to modify his setup is reinventing the wheel and is a bad idea. As is putting Loctite on ANY part of the prop/shaft/nut arrangement.
Old 24-09-2021, 10:53   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Assuming he decides against drilling the shaft for a cotter pin, the OP only needs to purchase the prop and nut kit that is standard equipment on his boat. Trying to modify his setup is reinventing the wheel and is a bad idea. As is putting Loctite on ANY part of the prop/shaft/nut arrangement.
Just out of curiosity, why no Loctite other than being over kill?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 10:58   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just out of curiosity, why no Loctite other than being over kill?
If you had ever been asked to remove a nut or prop underwater that has been smeared with Loctite or 5200, you wouldn't ask that question.

Look people, quit trying to fix what ain't broken. I guarantee the engineers and designers who created these systems know more about how they should work than you do, and trying modify them is just asking for trouble. They work just fine the way they were designed.
Old 24-09-2021, 11:06   #39

another vote for the 'Locktabs' I work in heavy industry ie 500mgw generators and ther turbines,locking tabs allover them and never seen 1 fail,
if you are still nervous haul out replace the tab and get a welder just to put a spot weld on it
hartcjhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 11:07   #40
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcjhart View Post
if you are still nervous haul out replace the tab and get a welder just to put a spot weld on it
Weld the lock washer to the nut? Are you serious?
Old 24-09-2021, 11:10   #41

Quote:
Weld the lock washer to the nut? Are you serious?
a spot weld yes serious why not
Old 24-09-2021, 11:12   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Quote:
I don't see why putting Loctite on the prop nut is a bad idea? and as for the original idea of the prop kit being sufficient, it obviously was not! Being a boat owner/sailor/cruiser one has to think outside the box and make things work in a crunch time... Loctite is a perfectly acceptable engineering component and this is a lot more practical than trying to drill a hole in a stainless steel shaft under water.....you are quick to criticise any suggestions but don't come up with any ideas yourself.....?
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 11:13   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcjhart View Post
a spot weld yes serious why not
Because how the hell is a diver supposed to remove the prop after that has been done?
Old 24-09-2021, 11:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
I don't see why putting Loctite on the prop nut is a bad idea? and as for the original idea of the prop kit being sufficient, it obviously was not! Being a boat owner/sailor/cruiser one has to think outside the box and make things work in a crunch time... Loctite is a perfectly acceptable engineering component and this is a lot more practical than trying to drill a hole in a stainless steel shaft under water.....you are quick to criticise any suggestions but don't come up with any ideas yourself.....?

ordinary Loctite ouch,threadlocker not so bad again we use it
Old 24-09-2021, 11:15   #45

Quote:
Because how the hell is a diver supposed to remove the prop after that has been done?

Why the hell would you want a diver to remove it,OP wants to keep the ruddy thing on