Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 14:48   #1

Dunking Outboards

I do not have a sailboat yet, but have been lurking here soaking up the knowledge. One thing that I would not have thought of is the tendency for an outboard powered sailboat to lift and then dunk the outboard. Makes sense if I had thought about it. Water ingestion = bad.

So, I was watching a mud bog motor sports event on tv and all the vehicles had raised snorkels through which the engine could safely breathe. The it struck me that something similar could be done to enable even a long shaft outboard to be mounted lower without hydrolocking it during use.

Is anyone aware if this has been done? Is it a crazy idea?

Just curious.
Yetii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 17:26   #2

Boat: Catalina Capri 25
Dunking Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetii View Post
I do not have a sailboat yet, but have been lurking here soaking up the knowledge. One thing that I would not have thought of is the tendency for an outboard powered sailboat to lift and then dunk the outboard. Makes sense if I had thought about it. Water ingestion = bad.

So, I was watching a mud bog motor sports event on tv and all the vehicles had raised snorkels through which the engine could safely breathe. The it struck me that something similar could be done to enable even a long shaft outboard to be mounted lower without hydrolocking it during use.

Is anyone aware if this has been done? Is it a crazy idea?

Just curious.

Sounds cool to me.
I raced dinghies as a kid and through high school and then lacked the opportunity to sail for years. Now I have a 25' catalina Capri and want to eventually graduate to a blue water cruiser.

I am on my 2nd season with my boat and respect your lurking styles. The repository of knowledge here is astounding and I have learned a ton. My boat has a 5.5 hp air cooled tanaka aquabug. It has performed well. It is subject to the occasional dunking but seems to shake it off right away after skipping a beat. Then I sit more forward and have any aboard do the same to bring the motor ip some

I guess for me so long as my motor runs, I am loathe to interfere with the configuration. A snorkel does sound wise, however! Cool idea. I'll put something into that kickstarter.
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 19:09   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Dunking Outboards

Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor down showing the general installation..JPG
Views:	101
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	147930  

Tags