Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41   #1

Boat: Uniflite DCS 42"
E-TEC 25 SUDDENLY STOP

E-TEC 25 SUDDENLY STOP
A few months ago I bought a E-tec 25HP (manual start). At first time, I tried it at home and it worked perfectly: start at first rope pull, check the gear box forward and reverse and everything was perfect.
Last week, I install the motor on my dinghy and give it at try on the water. Start at first rope pull and undertook a test drive. Running at middle speed and about 5 minutes later, the ENGINE SUDDENLY STOP.
At first I thought he had hit a wood or something, but no. Simply turn off. We check oil, fuel, alarm LED’s and everything was ok. Also, the propeller was free.
When trying to turn it back on pulling the starter rope was tied (the flywheel was block, like when you try to start the engine with the gear in forward (it was in neutral). We try about 10 times until suddenly loosened the flywheel. We try start the motor again a couple times and the engine start. All alarm LED’s was ok.
We put forward and started traveling back to the dock, when suddenly, the engine suddenly stops again. This time, we spend more that ½ and hour to try to start the engine, without success.
Any idea?

Optional Information:
Make (of engine): EVINRUDE
Model (of engine): E-TEC E25DRLIS
Year: 2010
Horsepower: 25
Already Tried:
- We review the entire flywheel mechanism
nnyerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:08   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Have you checked to see if any cooling water is coming out? It could be overheating and seizing the piston.
Old 04-07-2013, 19:14   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: E-TEC 25 SUDDENLY STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyerges View Post
E-TEC 25 SUDDENLY STOP
A few months ago I bought a E-tec 25HP (manual start). At first time, I tried it at home and it worked perfectly: start at first rope pull, check the gear box forward and reverse and everything was perfect.
Last week, I install the motor on my dinghy and give it at try on the water. Start at first rope pull and undertook a test drive. Running at middle speed and about 5 minutes later, the ENGINE SUDDENLY STOP.
At first I thought he had hit a wood or something, but no. Simply turn off. We check oil, fuel, alarm LED’s and everything was ok. Also, the propeller was free.
When trying to turn it back on pulling the starter rope was tied (the flywheel was block, like when you try to start the engine with the gear in forward (it was in neutral). We try about 10 times until suddenly loosened the flywheel. We try start the motor again a couple times and the engine start. All alarm LED’s was ok.
We put forward and started traveling back to the dock, when suddenly, the engine suddenly stops again. This time, we spend more that ½ and hour to try to start the engine, without success.
Any idea?

Optional Information:
Make (of engine): EVINRUDE
Model (of engine): E-TEC E25DRLIS
Year: 2010
Horsepower: 25
Already Tried:
- We review the entire flywheel mechanism
The motor is it 2 stroke ? If so is there any oil in the fuel ?
Dont ask why I ask.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:25   #4

Yes, E-tecs are 2 stroke, but with very efficient oil and fuel injection systems. It does sound like it's seizing. As suggested, I'd be looking at the cooling and oil systems.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 21:40   #5

This weekend I disarms the flywheel looking for any damage (nothing, all ok). I pull out the spark plugs and I pull the rope (all ok, the engine turns without any problem). I found some humidity in the spark plugs mixed with oil. I returned to place the spark plugs and I proved the compression and everything was well. I start the engine for a while and manually shut off ( I do not like the fact that I found water in both cylinders). Or it is the broken seal, a bad gasket or the block is cracked.
It is a new motor without at least a 1/2hour of use. It would have to take the motor to Envinrude, but the problem is in which that model of motor came with manual control lever which disarmament to adapt it to a central control, and to return it to arm so that they prove it, is a headache.
Note: The oil reservoir was cracked but still half a tank of oil inside.
Some suggestion?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The oil reservoir is cracked on a new engine with 1/2hr of run time (let alone it is not working) and you are hesitating taking it back? That doesn't make sense. It is faulty - just return it. Why would you want a damaged new engine?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52   #7

Everything was easier if I lived in the United States. I live in Venezuela and here they do not sell e-tec 25HP, so choose to buy from a dealer in the U.S., so I have no warranty and return it to the dealer, not an option. That's why we have to resort to the nearest Evinrude dealer.