Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 20:57   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Easy and cheap oil change technique

I have a Yanmar 3JH2E. You might, too, or something similar.

The design of the Yanmar dipsticks on the 3JH2E and probably most of their other engines is such that you can vacuum all the oil out of the engine via a hose attached to the top of the dipstick tube. You don't need a small piece of tubing that will fit inside the dipstick. You will not get any more oil out of the engine doing that than you will just using the dipstick tube.

1/2" ID clear vinyl tubing works well. No clamps necessary. I used a drill pump that I bought from a home center for under $4. You will likely need some 1/2" barb garden hose adapters but you should be able to get everything you need for under $20. I used empty milk jugs for the waste oil.

1/2" tubing is large enough that you don't have to start the engine and warm the oil beforehand to get it to flow, which means that you don't have to annoy your marina neighbors or have to try to gauge it so you get the oil warmed up enough to flow but not hot enough to burn your fingers.

For the filter, you will probably want and "end cap oil filter wrench" and a ratchet because a band-type wrench will hit too many obstacles. You can get an end cap wrench at NAPA for $4. Bring in your new oil filter so you can match up the correct wrench.

I know you can buy oil change kits from the chandleries for $100 and up but this worked well enough that I just don't see a reason to do that.

Tags
cheap, oil, oil change