Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2009, 08:17   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Thank you....it is always a pleasure
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:00   #17

Re: Edson Pedestal Yanmar Transmission

Looks like Delmarry got it right!
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:12   #18

It would seem strangely odd that a manufacturer of a proprietary pedestal with gearshift(Edson), would market a product with such an obvious limitation. The Yanmar transmission is not the only brand that has only one clear path the control cable can be routed, or mounted, with out resorting to re-engineering. Hmmmm?
Old 08-07-2014, 14:32   #19

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Edson sells two different engine control housing. The one that goes with Yanmar is pulled up and pushed down, rather than being pushed forward and pulled backward.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastarea View Post
I also have an Edson pedestal-Yanmar combo. But with a different problem: it is hard to put in neutral and I keep going from fwr to rev. It does not make it easy for docking !

What should I check first?
Sounds like a cable length adjustment, the neutral detent on the Edson shifter has to coincide with the transmission shifter detent. The end that is attached to the Edson control is a threaded barrel and pin w/cotter pin I believe, detach it from the control arm, make sure the transmission shift lever is in the neutral-detent position, then adjust the barrel on the pedestal end of the cable until the pin lines up with the hole in the control lever without moving the shifter itself off of centre. Should fix the problem.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

I don't understand because this transmission is designed to allow the shifter to work either way. All you needed to do was adjust the shifter arm as you did and then, take off the two bolts holding the cable bracket on the side of the transmission and move the cable bracket to the position that you needed. There are many bolt holes on the cable bracket where it secures to the transmission housing for this purpose.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16   #22

Boat: islandpacket

Edson makes two pedestal controll top. One with transmission lever on the left and throttle to the right. The other has throttle to the right and transmission in the center. In ordering the part it states clearly to check what way your transmission is controlled to determine what one you need. I choose mine without checking and got the wrong one. There was no room to reverse directions inside the pedestal. I was able to find a a single lever side mount to solve my problem. There is a difference in controller heads. You need to check to get the right one. Or you can buy new labels to mark the wrong way to engage the transmission.
I was getting used to using it backwards. But I was concerned that someone else or an emergency would cause an accident. So I replaced mine. So much better.
I have been on several boats that had control's reversed so this is a commom problem.
Old 16-07-2014, 21:29   #23

Boat: Catalina 38

I had the same problem when I switched from a universal engine with a Hurth transmission, to a Yanmar with a Kanzaki, and that's probably the reason yanmar recommends using a single lever control. You can adjust the push/feature on any direction and since the transition between an engaged gear and neutral is so smooth, it will be hard to feel the neutral, and is so easy to engage the other gear... That's the other advantage of a single lever... I ended up installing a new Edson pedestal guard with a single lever (morse) control mounted on it.. Problems solved!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
edson, pedestal, yanmar