Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 13:25   #1

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30
Electic propultion

All i see here are sail boats under electric. Are there any boaters that tried to install electric in a larger, cruiser? like a chriscraft, tolly craft??
can't find any thing at all about this in a wooden vessel that isn't a sailing vessel. any one?
oh and that is over 30 ft
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 14:07   #2

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV
Re: Electic propultion

I did a fair amount of research into this earlier in the year and found little to get excited about as primary propulsion on a larger vessel. The best examples of EP at work, that I could find, was Duffy Boats, which are little more than small runabouts or tour boats. The recharge cycle is the kicker. If you're "motoring" all day, you run your bank down. Sun goes down, boom, no solar recharge. Sounded like a great way to guarantee I never wander too far from my slip. I opted to fix my old Yanmar. :2cents:
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:37   #3

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hello,
yea that's all i see also. I found A web site that sales altanators that can charge a 2bank very quickly. you can use one to operate a welder. so with that in mind i can use a couple of them to run the EP.
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:49   #4

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

They've got systems that charge back through the prop while under sail as well but you'd specifically mentioned "motor boat".

The other aspect that turned me off of EP was the hundreds of pounds of potentially catchy firey "power cells" in something I want to sleep in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:54   #5

It seems to boil down to battery banks priced Down to $100 per Kw Hour. Pricing has dropped to roughly lowest $300 though 2-3 years further will be $100 !
So,a bank that'll give a run for,again,roughly 8 hours to get the vessel through overnight powering then into daylight to recharge bank and motor simultaneously,EP will then break out.
Bank form factor and additionally higher PV efficiencies are contributors to more rapid penetration.
It's all about efficiencies and costs.A cup of diesel has become quite efficient!

All the Best
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote