Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi DeepFrz:

I know I hate hanging threads so why did I leave this thread hanging? I took it apart and everything looked fine. Put it back together and it wouldn't work on the 50 amp a battery charger that I have. I took it into the shop that worked on it. They put it on the bench and tested it and it worked fine. They had an amp meter on the testing bench and when they started it the amp meter maxed out at 50 amps. As I remeber these are 1000 watt or 1200 watt motors so I guess something in the realm of 100 amps is needed to test these properly. The motor works fine. The worm gear OTH needs to be replaced. Now the question do I spend $500 on a new worm gear and then have a 23 year old rebuilt windlass or to I spend $2k on a new windlass. I found a nice windlass from Nilsson and with the current exchange rate it is only $2k. The thought now is to replace the worm drive and sell the existing windlass for $750 or so and then buy a new one. Depends on how business goes.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric motor