Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2022, 04:38   #1

Electric pump for diesel fuel polishing?

I am looking for an electric fuel pump that I can plumb into my fuel system so I can circulate fuel through my Racor 1000 fuel filters. There are a lot of pumps out there, I could use help narrowing down the choices.

The boat is a 50ft Viking motor yacht that holds 680 gallons of fuel between 3 tanks. I can go with a 12v, 115 or 230v. Since I will be using it at the dock on shore power, I am leaning towards an AC powered pump for the reduced amp draw.

Does anyone know of a good continuous duty diesel fuel pump that I can leave on for several hours at a time?

It would also be nice to install a fuel gallon counter so I know how much fuel I have turned through the filters.
JohnSlattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Electric pump for diesel fuel polishing?

How much do you want to move per hour? Here's a 45 gph 12v continuous duty diesel fuel pump, which also happens to to be the pump my Universal M25 genset uses. In those sort of sizes you're most likely to find 12v lift pumps.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-04-2022, 09:04   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Here's a 110vAC 15 gpm model, but I doubt that your Racor filters can handle that volume.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPWAY-Electr...001702&sr=8-16
Old 03-04-2022, 10:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

Check out the:
The Racor Multipass Fuel Polisher #P510MAM Fuel Filter Water Separator c/w [2, 10, or 30 micron] Aquabloc® media cartridges, Flow rate to 72 GPH [272 LPH], and [12 or 24V] brushless, continuous duty pump.
P510MAM ➥ https://www.parker.com/literature/Ra...er_RSL0151.pdf

$612.15 complete ➥ https://www.oceanlinkinc.com/product...isher-p510mam/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 15:50   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Here's a 110vAC 15 gpm model, but I doubt that your Racor filters can handle that volume.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPWAY-Electr...001702&sr=8-16
Interesting that they claim a 15 meter lift capability. Not bloody likely IMO! wonder what other specs are "exaggerated"?

Jim
Old 03-04-2022, 16:28   #6

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSlattery View Post
I am looking for an electric fuel pump that I can plumb into my fuel system so I can circulate fuel through my Racor 1000 fuel filters. There are a lot of pumps out there, I could use help narrowing down the choices.

The boat is a 50ft Viking motor yacht that holds 680 gallons of fuel between 3 tanks. I can go with a 12v, 115 or 230v. Since I will be using it at the dock on shore power, I am leaning towards an AC powered pump for the reduced amp draw.

Does anyone know of a good continuous duty diesel fuel pump that I can leave on for several hours at a time?

It would also be nice to install a fuel gallon counter so I know how much fuel I have turned through the filters.

Hi John
I have done extensive cruising and had to polish fuel at remote anchorages myself. My system isn’t as demanding as yours, I have 4.108, but I do have a “Cartidgeless Centrifugal fuel polishing system” with capacity alarm setup with a Y divert valve if I want to use it without the engine running. It’s made by RCI and they can’t call it a fuel filter because it has no replacement element. I do have a Racor 500 filter and the engine filter after it, but never have found them contaminated over cruising from SF to Ecuador and back, and back down to MX over many years. Obviously your system is bigger and requires a larger filter and pump, but the support at RCI was awesome back then and might be able to point you in the right direction for a pump as they did for me. Just my solution, nothing more.
cheersClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7720.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	255435
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:48   #7

Gentlemen, thank you all for your responses!

I think I am leaning toward GordMay's suggestion of the Racor P510MAM. It pumps 72 GPH with its own filter. I was not looking to add another filter but this pump has a pretty high GPH output with a relatively low amp draw. As for other 12v pumps without filters, they all seem to have flow rates of much less, draw more amps and have smaller hose ports.

As tkeithlu pointed out 110v pumps move too much fuel for the Racor filters to handle. My Racor 1000's have a max capacity of 180 GPH / 3 GPM. If need be I can divide the flow to two filters and get to 360 GPH. So far every AC powered pump I have found goes way over the capacity of two filters.

akopac, I looked at RCI's website and it is not very user friendly. To come up with the right system it is going to take calling them on the phone as you suggested.

Reverso has a a few pretty comprehensive systems with a lot of bells and whistles - literally. They have timers, alarms and auto shutdowns for high suction and water detection.
https://reversopumps.com/fpm-150-12/
The Reverso systems look great, but I don't think I need that kind of complexity. Additionally, I am running out of wall space in the engine room to mount things.

Unless someone knows of an AC powered pump that flows less than 360 GPH / 6 GPM or a 12v stand alone pump that flows 70 GPH or more, I think I will have to go with the Racor P510MAM.
Old 04-04-2022, 14:00   #8

I decided to order the Racor P510MAM pump. I found it for $511 plus tax and free shipping.
https://spsdiesel.com/product/parker...ystem-p510mam/

Thank you again for the help!!!
Old 02-04-2023, 08:04   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450S

@JohnSlattery, I’m also thinking about buying the Racor P510MAM, but I want to use it as a simi-portable pump to polish fuel coming from jerrycans into my tanks. Have you been happy with the Racor P510MAM?
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Coronado View Post
@JohnSlattery, I’m also thinking about buying the Racor P510MAM, but I want to use it as a simi-portable pump to polish fuel coming from jerrycans into my tanks. Have you been happy with the Racor P510MAM?

For fuel polishing, it would be fine.

For an in-line fuel pump for the engine, I would be concerned about PSI.

From Parker's website:

Features:
• Innovative, modular fuel filter/water separator, bottom-load design
• One size housing, with M16-1.5 ORB ports (adapters available)
• 12/24V DC brushless electronic fuel pump, 66 gph (250 lph) flow
Internal 26 psi (179 kPa) pressure regulation
Wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric, electric pump, fuel, pump