Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2019, 15:26   #1

Boat: Catana 471
End fitting for engine shutoff cable?

I'm in the process of replacing shift, throttle, and shutoff cables on a Volvo D2-55. Shift and throttle are pretty straightforward since the replacement Teleflex cables I purchased have the same (universal) threaded ends as the old cables.

The shutoff cable however is slightly different. The old cable has a threaded end, which passes through and is clamped to a mounting bracket with a couple of hex nuts (see first two images below). But the new TF utility cable has no end fittings at all (see third image). What kind of fitting or adapter do I use to secure the new cable to the mounting bracket? I've checked the TF/Seastar catalog, and don't see anything that obviously works.

TF lists a Bulkhead Adapter no 300673, but it looks like it's meant to thread onto the end of a cable, which of course won't work.

[Edit]Forgot to mention, but no, there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the fittings from the existing cable, short of cutting them off, which would preclude re-using them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shutoff cable diagram.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	188729   Click image for larger version

Name:	shutoff cable pic.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	188730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new T-handle cable.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	188731  
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 16:00   #2

Boat: Ericson 28/2
Re: End fitting for engine shutoff cable?

You're going to have to get creative to exactly replicate the original attachment using what's already there. Is the original cable Teleflex? I would cut off the existing termination and find a way to mate it to the new Teleflex. Perhaps bore out the end of the original fitting to accept the outer casing of the new Teleflex and secure it with a set screw.
Afrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 16:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
End fitting for engine shutoff cable?

You clamp it. A flat strap with two holes and put two bolts through the holes to clamp it, just don’t tighten too much and crush it,
Usually ones meant to clamp will have a solid piece the cable runs though that can handle clamping pressure on the end.
Think running it between number 5 and 26 in your parts diagram
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 12:59   #4

Thank you both for the suggestions. After some more searching, I finally found instructions for the aforementioned TF "bulkhead adapter". Looks like it is made exactly for this purpose.. although the OD is a bit larger than the one I removed, so might have to enlarge the hole in the mounting bracket a bit. If that doesn't work out, you've given me a couple of other options I can try.

Much thanks!
Old 27-03-2019, 17:54   #5

Items 20,21,&22 as shown in the parts breakdown, are the VP items that are supplied with the engine to the original boat builder. #20 is a brass sleeve made to accept the standard pull cable with no end fitting on it. The pull cable slides in the recess in the end of #20 and is held there by the spring pressure of the stop lever.

The parts which are shown in the photo of your original stop cable are not VP items and were probably sourced or fabricated by the boat builder.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 05:57   #6

Thank you Doug... that is really helpful! I suspect you're right about my original cable being sourced by the builder from somewhere other than VP, since it's a 33ft long stop cable, and VP doesn't list one that long.

I considered ordering 20,21,22 (surprisingly they're in stock, and fairly cheap), but from the the diagram I was under the impression that 20 was meant to screw onto a cable with a pre-installed threaded end (14, as shown in the diagram). Is that wrong, or maybe has changed and is no longer the case?
Old 28-03-2019, 07:45   #7

My recollection is that 20 is not threaded internally, but I'm not in a location where I can check that for you....
In a few weeks I'll be at home and I have a few of them in the garage, but unfortunately that doesn't help you right now.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine