Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-03-2006, 08:55   #1

Boat: Admiral 32 , 33' , Vagans
Engine Compartment Insulation

Hello All,

I need to replace the old water logged engine compartment insulation. My question is what should I replace it with? It had a some stuff that looked like home insulation with no backing material. I assume it is for noise and fire protection. Thanks for your help in advance.

Fair Winds,

Matt
Old 28-03-2006, 11:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Waterlogged?? what happend Matt???

A very good, although rather expensive product, is Accustop. It comes in a variety of sizes and types and finishes etc. Very verygood.Very expensive.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 12:18   #3

Wheels,

When I bought the boat out of the boat yard it had water standing in it. No bilge pump and the scubbards (is that the correct spelling for drains) were plugged. Thanks for the info, I will check and see if Ican afford very expensive.

matt
Old 28-03-2006, 17:02   #4

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Matt

If you're talking about sound insulation then also look at Glacier Bay's product. Also expensive but really neat stuff. Saw a demo at the boat show where a box of it took a very loud speaker and made it silent. We just redid out boat mostly with this but not back in the water so no report yet. We also used some from Sailors Solution which is thinner and 12" square panels for those areas where depth was an issue.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 18:09   #5

Jon,

Thanks for the info, I found a place in Tampa called Acoustiblok, has any body herd of them or used there product? I will be stopping by on Wed. and I will give an update.

matt
Old 28-03-2006, 18:22   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Sound proof

I saw the small box with the speaker in it at the boat show also. When the lid was put on the sound stopped, BUT, a speaker needs air to move back and forth, stop the supply of air and the speaker stops making sound. I would want to see a real test of the sound proofing abilities. I am sceptical of the boat show demonstration.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 20:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No that isn't actually true Mike. The speaker is still making plenty of noise in that box. You would have to create a compleate vacum in the box before the speaker will stop producing sound. I have played with a similar box lined in the stuff. I used things like electric drill and other noise making devices. It does work and work very well. There are many different products available and some work better than others. The best ones are the most expensive. The ones like Acustop work via "mechanical isolation". this is were the sound is isolated and dampned in a substance. Some use lead as the dampning material, the realy expensive ones use Barium Oxide. A layer of foam each side of the heavey material isolates it from the substrate the entire soundproofing section is fixed to.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 04:00   #8

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Matt, I'd consider you add Soundown in your shopping. Altho' they offer a lead-sandwich product, I've used their non-lead version (2") with good success. I glued & screwed it, FYI. They ship quickly and the productg isn't harmed by being rolled tightly when packaged. Practical Sailor was high on them, as well.

Jack
Old 29-03-2006, 05:46   #9

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
re: Glacier Bay Soundproofing

if you go to their web sit they have some audio files of engines with different insulation's. Assuming that all things were equal during the tests the differences are pretty interesting. They tested with no insulation, several competitors and theirs. Of course theirs was the quietest.

Here's their test page...
http://www.glacierbay.com/insulation_ultradb_sound.asp
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation