Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 21:03   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Engine Control Panel Placement

Not sure what genius came up with this great idea, but the engineers thought it would be smart to place the large, sensitive, easily accessible, large buttoned engine control panel smack in the middle of my already cramped cockpit; As you can see in the attached photo. On a number of occasions a guests butt has stopped my engine dead in its tracks.

Thinking of getting a cover of sorts, or moving the panel altogether. There is space at the helm, but it seems that it may require a lot of work. Anyone have experience with this particular issue?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3426094700.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	46145  
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Engine Control Panel Placement

A plastic hood would be the simple solution.

Depending what is behind the panel, remove, build a recessed box in the same place and apply a hinging hood is the more complicated option.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:08   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Stopping your engine via a guest butt is bad. It is worse when they break the key off in the switch. I second Ex's build a plastic cover.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56   #4

Yea that was my thought as well. You guys know of any place where these things could be purchased? I don't think I could build and install that..
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,thought mine was bad,your's take's the Cake,Mine was mounted where leaving or entering the cabin you could hit it with your foot,I,reduced its size to fit the cut out and built a frame to recess it,working on a hinged cover now.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
Not sure what genius came up with this great idea, but the engineers thought it would be smart to place the large, sensitive, easily accessible, large buttoned engine control panel smack in the middle of my already cramped cockpit; As you can see in the attached photo. On a number of occasions a guests butt has stopped my engine dead in its tracks.

Thinking of getting a cover of sorts, or moving the panel altogether. There is space at the helm, but it seems that it may require a lot of work. Anyone have experience with this particular issue?

Thanks!
It seems as though a frame could be built around the existing pannel,and a hinged cover affixed,dpending on the depth of your pannel maybe stick out another 1/2 inch or so,since you already have a pertrussion I,don't see this to be an objection.Lot easier than recessing or moving the pannell.See a plastic shop these guys have helped me many times over the years.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08   #7

Boat: Cape Dory Cutter 36'-Shana

A prefab recessed control panel box can be ordered from Sailing Specialities at ssicustomplastics.com
I replaced my control box with a hinged model several years ago. I have no commercial interest in this company, but they did have several sizes and models of recessed boxes. If you did a web search, I'm sure there are other firms that manufacture prefab boxes.
jerrycd36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

My photos here barely show it, but I got an off the shelf port, (Beckson I believe), that has a top hinged, clear opening, and though it has no gasket, it repels rain water 100%. (This is not meant to be a hull or cabinside port at all).

It has an inward turning 2" spigot, that like the frame and lid, is a round cornered rectangle. It comes with no covering over the spigot, just a big opening.

The port's 2" spigot is about 1.5 " longer and 1.5" wider than a standard Yanmar control panel. PERFECT!

I next got a piece of 1/4" opaque white plexiglass from a plastics shop. Then I scribed the port's spigot onto the plexiglass & cut it out.

Next I cut the square opening for the control panel, drilled the mounting screw holes for it slightly small, and tapped #10 threads into the holes.

Before mounting the panel, I glued this plexiglass back panel to the ports spigot.
(For this, one uses a syringe with square tipped needle and Methalyne Chloride to "solvent weld it", like with PVC pipe). This kit comes from the same plastics shop, btw...

Next I caulked the engine's panel into the form fitted square hole that is now recessed 2" back... in the back of the opening port.

This is followed by mounting the entire opening port into a hole cut into the cockpit's footwell.

The entire project is less than one day...

By mounting our panel out of the Sun's UVs, and out of the rain as well, it is still pristine after 17 years! Opening it to crank or kill the engine, just takes an extra second, and there is no way to kick it and break the key off.

I recommend it highly.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140_140.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	46204   Click image for larger version

Name:	140_140 - Copy.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	46205  

Old 09-09-2012, 08:06   #9

Boat: Catalina 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL
Yea that was my thought as well. You guys know of any place where these things could be purchased? I don't think I could build and install that..
I don't know I they will fit your panel, but You can get the recessed housing and a plexiglass cover from www.catalinadirect.com.
Old 09-09-2012, 13:08   #10

Thanks everyone. I'll look into those suggestions.

Tags
engine