Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52   #1
Marine Service Provider

Engine Controller Replacement Recommendations

I'm going to be replacing the control cables and the controller on my engine. My boat uses a single lever side mount. The problem I'm having, is it needs to be a right side mount, but for left hand control. Everything I see out there is ergonomic, and of course for right hand. For example

I'd need something that looks just like that, but with a lever that's pretty much a mirror image of what you see there. (AKA: I don't think flipping the lever would even help).

I'd like to replace with a a good quality controller, not some POS that's going to fall apart in a few years? Any ideas?

Or should I maybe just replace the cables for now, and leave the controller alone? I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it, but the boat is about 11 years old, and I occasionally have shifting problems. Other owners with the same boat and same problem have replaced the cables and controller and it fixed the problem.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26   #2

Boat: CS 36t
I would highly recommend looking at Kobelt, they are very high quality controls and operate very nicely and last a long time. All of the shafts are splined so you can turn everything around and adapt it for the other side. I have never tried to actually turn around the shift lever but I have adapted them for the other side.

This is the specific one that I am thinking of.
CONTROL SIDE MOUNT DUAL FUNCTION CHROME FINISH 120876
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:47   #3

Control Lever Assembly PC-741, with Sailboat Lever, Side-Mounted - Volvo Penta 1140093 - Volvo Penta

I have one and it would work for what you want
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 16:42   #4

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
good unit, looks like the teleflex unit availble here Teleflex Morse - Single Lever Side Mount Sail Boat Engine Control, CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 16:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
good unit, looks like the teleflex unit availble here Teleflex Morse - Single Lever Side Mount Sail Boat Engine Control, CH2

at twice the price
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 16:50   #6

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Well, that's a hell of a good price Pat. I would recommend Grunzter contact you, I do not know of them cheaper.....
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 17:34   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
The teleflex and volvo might be same. Volvo now available from QL. About 200USD if you shop around.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 19:01   #8

Boat: CS 36t
I am less than impressed with the teleflex morse units. They use a lot of pot metal and have not held up well over time in my experience. They do their job which is to control the shift and throttle but wear out more quickly and don't operate as smoothly in my opinion.

The Kobelt unit that I linked to is much more expensive but that is because you are paying for bronze with actual gears. If you are looking to replace it once, Kobelt or a comparable unit is the way to go but if you are really concerned with price, then go with Morse.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

So, why is the control for a 30 and 40 connection WAY cheaper?

Look the prices on the same Kobelt controller here and here, just with the different connection.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
I confirm some cheap metal in teleflex. I keep mine covered with lano. No problem sure, but I think teleflex should know better.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine