Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2020, 00:43   #1

Boat: Birdsall 50'custom
Send a message via AIM to CAPAZ
engine lay up

I have an older model Gardner Diesel 5 LH model. I am planning to leave my boat unattended for 6 months in Guam

I am looking for advice on engine layup for an older diesel. Planning flushing the seawater side with fresh. Curios for other suggestions use antifreeze, anything to send in air intake?

ty
Old 25-04-2020, 02:16   #2

Re: engine lay up

If you have a wet exhaust, disconnect the engine to aqualock hose and put dessicant in a plastic bag on the mixer elbow. The commercially available dehumidifiers are called “thirsty hippo’s” or “closet camels”. If you have a dry exhaust, cap it off so no torrential downpours put water into the exhaust system.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 06:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Diesel fuel is more stable than gasoline with ethanol, but it still absorbs water, and water will do serious damage to injectors. It’s a good [tho’ not eveyrone agrees] idea to fill the tanks, on a diesel-powered boat, before hauling out. With full tanks, there’s less internal air space and less tank surface to collect condensation.

Add a dose of biocide/ stabilizer to the tanks to prevent algae growth before you top them off. Running the engine out of fuel isn’t necessary with a diesel engine, and it’s difficult to purge the air out of some diesel engines to get them running in the spring.
I used Biobor JF and Star Tron Diesel Additive.

Spray some oil into the inlet manifold. Then crank the engine over a few times (without starting it) to coat the cylinder walls with oil.

Seal all of the openings that go into the engine to prevent the damp air from getting inside. Make caps out of plastic containers and tape to cover the air inlet, transmission and crankcase breathers and exhaust outlets. Leave a note for yourself listing all the openings you have sealed, so you’ll remember to uncap them in the spring.

“How do I care for my unused engine?” ~ Power & Motoryacht magazine
“Normally, a diesel can remain unused for around two months without much attention. Since yours may be laid up longer, you should protect the fuel and cooling systems and internal and exterior parts from corrosion and rusting. (I assume that the boat is at a dock with shorepower to keep the batteries charged.) Rather than have someone idle the engines, I suggest you do the following: If you’re close to your oil and filter change interval, have it done so you’ll have fresh lube in the engine during layup. Whether you change oil or not [you should], before you lay up the boat, take her out for an hour so you et the oil up to operating temperature. This will evaporate any moisture in it* and help clean the inside of the engine. Top up the coolant. Check for coolant, fuel, and oil leaks. Fix any you find, then tighten all hose clamps ...”
More https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/m...-unused-engine

* Should be kept below 50% RH, inside engine.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 23:25   #4

Boat: Birdsall 50'custom
Send a message via AIM to CAPAZ

great help thanks, now it looks like I might have a caretaker, former yachtie here in Guam to visit boat weekly and start engine and genset. Thank heavens for kind people! He sort of needs a project, according to his wife.

I will retain the advice above for later use if needed, thanks again!

Tags
engine