Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 07:27   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Engine Mounts Perkins 4-108/Westerbeke 40

Finishing up the rebuild of my Perkins 4-108 and the existing mounts seem pretty shot. The mounts were from Bushings Inc-very inexpensive to replace, but I don't know what I don't know about engine mounts and hoping I could get some recommendations. Seems like you can pay a lot or a little depending on the soltion you go with. My boat is a Pearson365 with a Vdrive. The egin weighs 500 pounds or dressed, Bed logs are heavy glass, sturdy and I thought the vibration was just annoying, but maybe not worse than any other solution-this is my first diesel reinstall. Do the much more expensive mounts make that much of a difference with a Perkins 4-108?
Jim
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:34   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Engine Mounts Perkins 4-108/Westerbeke 40

I found slightly cheaper ones online from various sources but ended up going to Trans Atlantic Diesel and got it right the first time. You pay a little more but get excellent advice and customer service. They have an image on their website of the measurements you’ll need as your brackets/beds are set up for a specific brand/type and matching them can save you a lot of work re-working the brackets to fit new mounts.
TAD for Perkins Marine Diesel Engine Mounts - Marine Diesel Engine Mounts - Perkins Engine Parts - Marine Engine Parts
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Are you looking at Perkins parts cost versus after market? You can expect the same mount to be far cheaper from a parts house than from the manufacturer.

The reason is simple. The manufacturuer specified a stock part for the engine; they didn't design their own. Then they have to stock that item despite very few sold, so the price is outrageous. Find the stock part, it will be cheap.

Universal M25 starters are Kabuta. $65 from Amazon. $1,200 from Westerbeke. Ditto on the throttle.

Engine mounts are simple. If you can find the same ones, don't pay a bunch for them

Congratulations on the project.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:50   #4

Thanks for that advice-I'd never dream of going to Westerbeke or Perkins. Bushings Inc out of Detroit has a few online distributors. My existing mounts are from Bushings Inc and they are the smallest they sell ($26 each) Even they recommended an upgrade as my existing ones don't have the required lip to retain the rubber in case of a rollover. The recommended replacement is $46 each. They are dirt cheap-but I am wondering if a bump up in price offers any decrease in noise and vibration-particularly where Ihave the complication of a V-drive. PYI for example has a $450 dollar solution versus the Bushings Inc solution which is $200 AND I know its a drop in replacement. Is there really a noticeable difference for a 500 pound engine?
That's the question I'm trying to answer.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:16   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

I’ll add that TAD’s prices are about what you’re experiencing, around $40/ea. I think you’re also spot on with the cheaper alternatives being for tractors and vehicles and not suited for a marine environment.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58   #6

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Let us know how much difference it makes - often thought about doing ours on a 4.108
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:02   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

I can 2nd the advice for TAD. That’s also where I got my mounts for a 4-108
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:16   #8

Boat: Valiant 40, SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Thanks for that advice-I'd never dream of going to Westerbeke or Perkins. Bushings Inc out of Detroit has a few online distributors. My existing mounts are from Bushings Inc and they are the smallest they sell ($26 each) Even they recommended an upgrade as my existing ones don't have the required lip to retain the rubber in case of a rollover. The recommended replacement is $46 each. They are dirt cheap-but I am wondering if a bump up in price offers any decrease in noise and vibration-particularly where Ihave the complication of a V-drive. PYI for example has a $450 dollar solution versus the Bushings Inc solution which is $200 AND I know its a drop in replacement. Is there really a noticeable difference for a 500 pound engine?
That's the question I'm trying to answer.
I too have a Westerbeke 40 with a V-drive, (ours with a Walter’s V-drive and a Paragon transmission). I would like to change our motor mounts as well. I have the same question, Does the PYI or any aftermarket motor mount do a better job of absorbing vibration than the OEM mount?
An inline 4-cylinder engine is inherently unbalanced, and this “vintage” engine does not have balance shafts, therefore feels more “industrial” than many modern engines. Motor mounts can, if properly designed, negate this vibration, (e.g. Norton Commando ISO-lastic motor mounts).
Cost is not my priority, but quality of vibration reduction transferred to the hull. Anyone out there have any experience/advice?
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:14   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I too have a Westerbeke 40 with a V-drive, (ours with a Walter’s V-drive and a Paragon transmission). I would like to change our motor mounts as well. I have the same question, Does the PYI or any aftermarket motor mount do a better job of absorbing vibration than the OEM mount?
An inline 4-cylinder engine is inherently unbalanced, and this “vintage” engine does not have balance shafts, therefore feels more “industrial” than many modern engines. Motor mounts can, if properly designed, negate this vibration, (e.g. Norton Commando ISO-lastic motor mounts).
Cost is not my priority, but quality of vibration reduction transferred to the hull. Anyone out there have any experience/advice?
I also have a V drive - a Hurth/ZF marine HBW150V. When I was ordering my Beta 50 hp engine from the factory in England the guy I was working with ordered stiffer engine mounts to go with it because I did not have a flexible shaft coupler. He said it would be noisier and transfer more vibration than a softer mount.

I am bringing this up because mounts come with different stiffness ratings which TAD does not say on their website. The tradeoff is the engine movement which is much more of a factor with V drives vs straight drives. With the Walther V drive being a separate gearbox that might not be a factor for you. What kind of shaft do you have between your tranny and the V drive? If it is one that is like an automobile drive shaft and allows movement in the length you could fit very soft mounts that would be more quiet.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:27   #10

The V drive can be a vibration issue. Often due to a very short shaft between the packing and drive. That is most likely your vibration issue and not a mount problem. If yours has a short shaft I would go with stiff mounts, you don't want the engine bouncing around.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:52   #11

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I recommend "parts4engines.com". Best pricing I've found even with shipping from England.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:16   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

I have recently replaced the mounts on a Westerbeke 55C. I too wanted to get better mounts at half the cost. So after research and consultation with a third party manufacturer, ordered mounts that cost about 50% less. I had measured the existing dimensions of the old mounts; hole size, sent drawings of the originals and reviewed them with the third party. But when the mechanic tried to install them they found the design of the new mount did not allow the engine to sit down far enough on the mounting bolt to allow for height adjustment. The bolt base of the new was just a little higher than necessary. So I suggest that every dimension be measured both with the existing mounts and the new whatever’s. Result; I surrendered and paid the Westerbeke ransom.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:50   #13

I think absent recommendations for a more expensive mount, I will be going with the Bushings Inc mount-which is one of the options sold by TAD. The existing are worn, but I think they did a pretty good job given the amount of use they saw. and I'm not sure a V-drive (Walter RV-10) wants a stiff mount anyway. Wish someone had some experieincewith another mount, but maybe , for once, the cheaper solution is the best solution.
Old 04-05-2020, 21:03   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

if you want good quality that doesn't break down look at the IsoFlex mounts.
https://isoflextech.com/wp-content/t...stud-350px.jpg
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 23:09   #15

Just a thought from the other side of the pond....

try this place for perkins parts, they ship world wide and have a very good service...

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-108-4-108m/
Gavino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, perkins, westerbeke