Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2023, 20:51   #1

Engine not shutting off

Howdy,
Been taking my sailboat out with just the inboard (Westerbeke 2 diesel) and the engine has not been shutting off when the shut off handle is pulled, checked the cable pulling the throttle into the shut off position and it seems to be pulling it just fine. Managed to get the engine shut off after several minutes of it idling in the shut off position. Is this normal? What other things should I look at to troubleshoot shutting it off?
Thanks all
Fox1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 21:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Engine not shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1134 View Post
Howdy,
Been taking my sailboat out with just the inboard (Westerbeke 2 diesel) and the engine has not been shutting off when the shut off handle is pulled, checked the cable pulling the throttle into the shut off position and it seems to be pulling it just fine. Managed to get the engine shut off after several minutes of it idling in the shut off position. Is this normal? What other things should I look at to troubleshoot shutting it off?
Thanks all
you pull handle on engine high pressure pump and he dont shot-off or you pull in cockpit.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 21:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
you pull handle on engine high pressure pump and he dont shot-off or you pull in cockpit.
Shut off handle is in the cockpit
Fox1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 04:50   #4

Boat: Colin Archer

Not normal but expected when there's a shutoff fault somewhere.

For sure it's the governor not getting a proper shut off (of fuel) since diesel only needs fuel to run (air comes in anyway).

I'd check all the cabling (with manual stop) or solenoid (with electrical stop via governor) depending what type of stop your engine has. Not familiar with Westerbakes but shouldn't be hard to diagnose them since they are both simple systems on most marine diesels.

Usually it's just one simple lever on the governor (that's usually seated/integrated on the diesel fuel pump accordingly) that cuts off fuel, Wether it's manually or electrically (solenoid) operated. See if that lever moves all the way during the shutoff operation should be your starting point on diagnosing.

I.e. in an emergency I can simply force-stop my diesel with my own hand by pushing that governor fuel cut lever all the way in for a second in case solenoid or something else ever gets faulty.
Briis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 06:39   #5

Fox:

Here is a link to a manual tht will help you:

https://www.westerbeke.com/operator'...%20rev%205.pdf

Go to page 9. At the bottom is a picture of teh injetor pump showing the lever that shuts off the fuel and stops the engine when you pull the lever in the cockpit.

You problem is probably that the screw clamp has slipped a bit on the cable what with wear and tear. Just adjust it and you should be okay.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 12:00   #6

The user manual shows that there’s an optional fuel cutoff solenoid on small westerbeke engines, these typically have a long period of time between activation and actual shutdown, is there any possibility that you have this solenoid as well as the original governor shutdown lever?
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 12:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
The user manual shows that there’s an optional fuel cutoff solenoid on small westerbeke engines, these typically have a long period of time between activation and actual shutdown, is there any possibility that you have this solenoid as well as the original governor shutdown lever?
in perkins,volvo and other usually if cutoff solenoid have malfunction engine shut off.but theoretical possible corrosion jam. simply remove solenoid and manually shut off, this sistem usually work send fuel from fuel injector pipe to return pipe.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 13:21   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Find the shutoff lever at the engine and pull it there. If the engine shuts off then problem is your cable.
Old 18-11-2023, 14:15   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
in perkins,volvo and other usually if cutoff solenoid have malfunction engine shut off.but theoretical possible corrosion jam. simply remove solenoid and manually shut off, this sistem usually work send fuel from fuel injector pipe to return pipe.
The old Detroits in the tour boat I ran had shut down solenoids. Once in a while one would stick and I'd have to go down to the engine room and pull the lever manually. Then a quick shot of WD40 and it would be good for another few months.
But the original post here said "cable" so I agree it's probably the clamp on the engine end of the cable is loose or otherwise out of adjustment and it's not pulling the lever all the way. On the engines I've had the lever didn't do anything until the end of it's travel, so you have to pull it all the way.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine