Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2023, 18:52   #16

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Engine or Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by realem View Post
Same problem in Reverse. The blades seemed to move just fine after installation, however, I did have Gori feathering prop installed and a similar problem but the engine did not stall. A lot of chatter and shaft banging against the hull. I checked to see if there was any way the Gori blades can be installed incorrectly and I am pretty sure the cannot. So different prop similar problem but not bad enough to shut the engine down
Umm, what? If you mean this literally, something is very wrong with the shaft setup.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 19:07   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't know your boat but I am guessing it has a strut, right? Did anyone check that?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 08:38   #18

Boat: kelt 8.5

Yes it has a strut
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 09:26   #19

Quote:
Same problem in Reverse. The blades seemed to move just fine after installation, however, I did have Gori feathering prop installed and a similar problem but the engine did not stall. A lot of chatter and shaft banging against the hull. I checked to see if there was any way the Gori blades can be installed incorrectly and I am pretty sure the cannot. So different prop similar problem but not bad enough to shut the engine down
I thought you said you put the original prop back on and have the same problem?
If so, I'd focus on other things.

"I had the bottom done and put my original 2 blade gori folding prop back on. It did not run right but the engine did run with a lot of chatter. I hauled again and put back the 3 blade kiwi prop. A lot of Chatter and the engine dies like load is to great"

It sounds a bit like the engine coupling is loose.... have you checked that? I once stupidly put Nylok nuts on a coupling during a haulout and clean up of the coupling etc. They came loose shortly and I put the normal nuts and lockwashers on. What a racket it made though!

Is your starter stuck in the ring gear?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 09:26   #20

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Not familiar wit Kiwi, is it ajustable? I had a similar problem when the two halves of an autostream were put back together one blade off giving max pitch.
Old 19-01-2023, 10:33   #21

Boat: Allmand 31

Quote:
I have a 2gm20 and a three-blade kiwi prop. the boat just came back from the yard and when I put it in gear it is very rough and the engine stops with a lot of dark smoke.
help
"Dark smoke" could be a sign of to much prop pitch.
"Chatter" could be a sign of driveshaft flange to transmission flange misalignment, or bad cutlass bearing.
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 16:36   #22

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Maybe broken/seized bearing in the gearbox or shaft. You could try a mechanics stethoscope to track down the noise, they are pretty cheap. Also when it was hauled they might have accidentally bent the shaft slightly.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 08:08   #23

Your problem occurs when the shaft is turning, more exadurated with different props.
Suggest you check the cutless bearing for wear or swelling
The prop should turn easily out of gear without any play when it pushed side to side. Otherwise you likely have a bearing problem
reisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 08:39   #24

What do you mean by "chatter"?
Vibration? Noise coming out of the engine?
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:08   #25

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Did someone verify that all three blades rotate freely, prior to putting the boat back in the water? Have you dived down and examined each blade to confirm the blades rotate as designed. I had a single blade not rotate fully due to a tangled fishing lure. It unbalanced the whole drive assembly.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:52   #26

Boat: Tartan 40

Were you there when the boat was hauled? Perhaps straps in the wrong place and bent shaft or strut on haulout? This should not be a prop issue
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 12:50   #27

Quote:
Big Thanks for all the input someone might have the answer
Sounds like the pitch on the prop was adjusted and you have exceeded the motors ability to handle extra bite. I believe the kiwi prop has an Allen fitting that adjust the pitch while in water.
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 14:05   #28

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
I have a 2gm20 and a three-blade kiwi prop. the boat just came back from the yard and when I put it in gear it is very rough and the engine stops with a lot of dark smoke.

help
Engine is overloaded...prop pitch?
Rattle, vibrations and noise check engine mounts, coupling and everything else bolted on.
Shaft was bend when the boat was hauled out, prop damaged as well? Yard tried to adjust prop, blades bend?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 14:12   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

Maybe this is a longshot, but.. maybe the yard had lift sling resting on the propeller shaft when they hoisted the boat.

Shaft is damaged/bent.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine