Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2005, 16:24   #1

Engine removal??

Hello all,
Ijust bought a small houseboat and I need to remove the engine to take it and have it rebuilt, It is a volvo penta 8 cyl i/o. Is it possible to remove the engine and leave the outdrive still intact while the boat is in the water? Whithout the boat sinking!
Cheers
D
Old 13-08-2005, 17:48   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Motor

I think the boat will sink. It has been a while since I have been close to an I/O. The water intake is usually low on the leg and is pumped up the leg towards the engine, goes around the engine and or heat exchanger and back out the leg. So when you remove the engine you will be disconecting water lines somewhere. If those lines are not plugged water should enter the boat. The motor is likely a Chev 350 V8. Cost for a complete rebuild in BC Canada is about $1850-.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 18:14   #3

Thanks for the reply, If I were to plug off the water intake and the exauset, Remove the engine and leave the bell houseing i should stay dry right? I am so used to working on direct drives, I am clueless on these stupid outdrives.
Cheers
D
Old 14-08-2005, 08:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Disconnect the water lines at the engine end, leaving them connected to the outdrive end.
Secure the disconnected hose-ends well above the waterline, then plug.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 03:29   #5

Water

Just thinking about this a bit more. You can do what Gord said if you can find which place the water goes from the leg to the engine. But while you are thinking about that consider this. The exhaust leaves the engine and ends up in the puddle, soooooooo the puddle can end up where the exhaust came from. There are usually risers on the exhaust manifolds, you will need to check how they are attached as well. Have a plan B ready just in case water starts comming in.
Michael
Old 15-08-2005, 22:13   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
PLUG AND PLAY!

DEPENDING ON THE MODEL OF YOUR VOLVO THE ENGINE WILL BE DIFFICULT TO PULL OUT BECAUSE OF THE DRIVE SHAFT THAT IS CONNECTED VIA THE OUT DRIVE. IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH ROOM IN FRONT OF THE ENGINE TO OVER COME THIS YOUR RAW WATER PUMP THAT IS EITHER CRANK MOUNTED OR JUST TO STARBOARD. IDENTIFY THE INTAKE HOSE AND USE THE APPROPRIATE D/C PLUG AND CLAMPS. DO THE SAME FOR YOUR EXHAUST COLLECTOR. BE CAREFULL OF THE ALUMINIUM COLLECTOR OLDER UNITS TEND TO BE BRITTLE.

GOOD LUCK.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 05:14   #7
Kai Nui

As it is an I/O, I would guess the outdrive will lift most if not all the way out of the water. If this is true, you will have no problem with water leakage, although, you will have to support the outdrive when you pull the engine. Most of the I/O units have a boot in the transom alowing the outdrive to move, but keeping the water out. These boots are a weak point, and can easily be damaged when pulling the engine.
I was able to change the boot on an OMC outdrive I had in in a 26' cabin cruiser, in the water, using 2 truck innertubes, and the bowline winched down hard on a cleat. Without knowing your exact situation, and boat, those are the best bits of info I can throw your way.
Old 16-08-2005, 14:04   #8

Boot

Only the older OMC stern drives have the rubber boot. Most IOs do not have the boot.
If the leg is lifted the engine may not detach from it. There are plenty of good reasons for doing this job on the hard, as will be evident when the work starts.
It is possible the engine will not pull away easily from the leg. Working on the boat in the puddle is a good way to lose tools and shades.
Michael
Old 17-08-2005, 02:11   #9
Kai Nui

Well that's how I rememberit. but then again I haven't had an I/O since Bush was in the White House, and we were fighting in the middle east

Tags
engine removal, removal