Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07   #1

Boat: Spencer 34,- Menado
Engine Replacement

I have to replace old Yanmar 2QM15 in my 34 ft sailboat displaced 11000 lb. The transmission is slipping (it can go only about idle speed) and leaking water in manifold, they don't make parts for this old engine anymore. I was thinking to replace it with an 9.9 Hp outboard. My boat has very sharp reversed transom, I intend to make fixed bracket on it for the outboard. Any expert suggestions?? Thanks,
James.
menado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:11   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Engine Replacement

You can put an outboard on with an expensive custom stainless steel bracket or a home made one built with marine plywood. But you will have reduced the resale value by at least the amount of a diesel repower.

Consider either a rebuilt Yanmar 2gm (thousands and thousands of these were made) or a new Beta Marine replacement. The Beta will cost about $6K for the engine and they can match to your existing stringers. A rebuilt Yanmar will cost a thousand or two less.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

You can find rebuilt transmissions all over the place for these. Less than $1000. Generally speaking a diesel is easy to rebuild, I helped rebuilt one of my Yanmar diesels a few years ago and thought it was fun. It sure was cost effective. Check before you chuck that motor.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:00   #4

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko

I have a very good YSM12R transmission. The engine is ok, but not great, and I am repowering. Not sure, looked with no success, as to if the YSM12 tranny works for the 2QM15 (I know it works with the YSM 8), but you could buy it if you find it works. It is in good shape. PM me for photos if interested.

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 18:25   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by menado View Post
I have to replace old Yanmar 2QM15 in my 34 ft sailboat...The transmission is slipping...and leaking water in manifold...I was thinking to replace it with an 9.9 Hp outboard...
Come on!

Repair the trans. Replace the manifold.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 19:50   #6

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Engine Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You can put an outboard on with an expensive custom stainless steel bracket or a home made one built with marine plywood. But you will have reduced the resale value by at least the amount of a diesel repower.

David

Come on Cap. Do it right.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 20:17   #7

Boat: 41' yawl

On many 30+ foot sailboats, getting a small outboard low enough means putting the power head in serious risk of getting submerged when in following seas, etc. Suppose it depends on your particular boat.

Neat that it would be a backup steering option though.

The 2qm15 is a great motor, a few years ago new sleeves and pistons were still available from Mack Boring, I'd bet an exhaust manifold could be found, at least a used one. I'd fix what you've got.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 20:52   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I saw a post here, a short time ago. The elbow had been replaced by an aftermarket part supplier. It was Stainless Steel..
Shouldn't be too hard to locate, or take what you have to a stainless steel fabricator... Don't get down, get busy making it right.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men