Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 09:13   #1

Engine Room Heat Shielding

I have an inboard diesel. The engine bay is framed of plywood. I figure it would be ideal to have a non combustible heat shield lining the engine compartment. I'd also like a material that is somewhat light reflective as the bay is obviously very dark. Any suggestions? Thank you.
kparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Engine Room Heat Shielding

Check out Soundown.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 14:30   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

There is a engine room foam for noise and heat reflection that works really well. Installed in my boat and I can only hear the vibration now.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/soun...rier-composite

Old 31-03-2017, 14:52   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Heat shielding, or sound? How well is the space ventillated, & by what means? And how much room is there for the insulation? Since some is but a few millimeters thick, while other stuff's a few inches thick? Also, one other important question, is do you want to use a product which is firm to the touch, or soft, like the lead foil/foam stuff, as pictured above. Oh, & the other question to ponder, is how moisture resistant does it need to be? Since various brands & types span the full spectrum of how much water, & or, oil/fuel that they'll absorb. Which is kind of important to factor into things.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 15:18   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Sound insulation with foil would fit the bill. If some level of fire protection is required, fire rated ceiling tiles work a treat. They seem to be commonly used to line engine compartments. And cheap as chips, too; although they can be a bit crumbly.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 15:59   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Sound insulation with foil would fit the bill. If some level of fire protection is required, fire rated ceiling tiles work a treat. They seem to be commonly used to line engine compartments. And cheap as chips, too; although they can be a bit crumbly.
I'm not a fear monger about asbestos, but a lot of the old ceiling tiles have high concentrations of asbestos, and if you have old crumbling ones I'd take them out to avoid them being aerated around your boat by a belt or likewise. Like the look of that foil faced foam with adhesive backing. Never gave thought to the foil adding to the available light in the engine compartment (cave/hole)
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 16:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
There is a engine room foam for noise and heat reflection that works really well. Installed in my boat and I can only hear the vibration now.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/soun...rier-composite

^^^^^Reflective, heat and sound shielding. It's what you need. Available in different thicknesses.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 17:33   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
^^^^^Reflective, heat and sound shielding. It's what you need. Available in different thicknesses.
BTW- I have a little of the thick stuff left over, 2'x3' I think, if anyone runs short. Also, any seams can be covered with the special foil 3" tape, which I also have left over.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kparry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
BTW- I have a little of the thick stuff left over, 2'x3' I think, if anyone runs short. Also, any seams can be covered with the special foil 3" tape, which I also have left over.
Funny how you throw things away and then realize you shouldn't. I had a bunch of strips of that stuff left over from a military boat contact job. They were only about 10" wide but maybe 4' long. I finally got rid of them a couple years ago. Probably had 10 or so. I think it was the 1-1.25 thick stuff.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 14:04   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

The foil shielded foam, which includes a rigid core piece of 'vinyl' is pretty nice to work with if you have a metal rule and a sharp blade. The installation kits include some barbs with push nuts that provide restraint to back up the spray 'cement' (3M typical) that is used to bond to the ply. Just take care to fit and place right the first time as it can be tough to get a second chance! Gives the compartment a nice clean finished look and it's what the OEM's use.

Have a great time with the project!
RLaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:51   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Summit Racing.com or SpeedwayMotors.com. By the roll or square.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 11:48   #13

First I'd like to thank everyone for their input/ideas/suggestions. What a huge help! I have some things to consider before making a decision but at least it will be an informed decision.
What a helpful and pleasant community this is. I look forward to spending more time going through the forums and learning what I need to be a fellow cruiser!
kparry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine