Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2006, 00:57   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Good results have been obtained in UK with thinsulate material. Practical Boat Owner did an article on it, and was quite complimwntary.
Old 23-11-2006, 07:42   #17

Sound dampening

A while ago we insulated our boat with good quality closed-cell foam - basically camping mats - to reduce condensation. We put it under the matresses, under seats and in lockers. And it really helped. But it also had the unexpected effect of making the boat a lot quieter. Not just the engine noise but all external noise is reduced. Far less howling in the rigging. It makes the saloon a haven of peace in stormy weather.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 10:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Engine room insulation normally has the outer layer as a aluminium film. It does two things. It reflects heat(most importantly) and it stops oil splashes from absorbing into the foam.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 13:18   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
The one thing I did not like about traditional foam/barium insulation is the way it seems tio suck up water over time.

That "Silent Running" stuff I mentioned does not, and can be painted shiny white.

As yet to hear from anyone who's used it. Surely they must have at least one client?

Would the U.S. coastguard give it the big tick if it was no good?

Can there approval be bought like most other things?

Dave
Old 23-11-2006, 13:24   #20

insulation

www.salvor111.com go to globalspec.com over 400 engineering firms that build form nano foam boards to all urathine foam. my company has built sound barriers for boats, I have encluded a one and a quarter inch pvc pipe, thru-hole with a insulated pvc cap that you can remove at the bridge to listen. ships of old used to have a piped voiced communication before the invent of bridge to bridge radio. so insulate,insulate and add truth tube, I invented and added the first of a kind foam keel (150psi) to the center hull of my boat. Iam working on a research project fo nono insulation in HVAC systems. I paint and glass two part foam by the way
salvor111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 13:58   #21

insulation!

strygalddwir- greetings, www.salvor111.com you will find the coast guard regs at bottom of my page. r-factors, you can find 400 engineering firms from nano foam board to closed cell urethane kits, at [globalspecs.com] this site is for professional engineering only, you shouldnt have any problems finding what you are looking for , I buy 7cubic kits for around $350 to $500. the equipment is included for onetime use,throw away. I research and build supper insulation for marine HVAC systems. and engine rooms. I put truth tubes to the bridge (one and a quarter inch pvc pipe/with insulated threaded cap) to listen to the engine. this system was used on ships of old,before bridge to bridge radio was invented , let me know if you need more info, see my site. you can paint closed cell with certain two step paints, and you can glass that system too. sage
Old 26-11-2006, 08:20   #22

Has anyone tried the Silent Running under regular foam/lead insulation? It would seem that this would offer a greater degree of noise isolation than just one or the other.

Alan Perry
Old 26-11-2006, 09:34   #23

insulation!

I used to work in a ship yard in seattle,union bay. there was an insulation paint on/sprayon applacation, called DEVCO, basicly the product was a fluoropolymer. looked like a hard foam, the foam was sprayed in fuel tanks for for anti vibration, and leak control. you have to have compressed air C-card , plus factory basic training, $35, at the dealership. I used to use the product in engine rooms with great sucess. just look up tank coatings on the net, this stuff has been tested,tryied by the military and shiping companys for 40 years.
back to the lead insulation! Iwill be removing lead cloth from a boat next week, it vibrated away from from a vertical hold posistion, I will try to find a fluoropolymer for that area, when I bided the job I noticed that mold,rust, nuts, bolts had goten behind the product and did a bad number on the bulkhead. oh way the way this is dangerous! must use 2.5 psi air mask and jump suit

Tags
insulation