Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Engine smoke and sheen on the water

From the Volvo MD22 owners manual

"Running-in:
A new marine engine requires a running-in period of 20 operating hours. Run the engine at varying engine speeds, but not over a maximum of 3/4 throttle opening for the first two hours. For the next 8 hours run the engine in the same way, but with max. 2 minute periods at wide open throttle (WOT). During the final 10 hours increase wide open throttle periods to 5–10 minutes at a time. Reduce the throttle opening to idle periodically to allow the engine temperature to drop. During the running-in period never run the engine for long periods at a constant engine speed. It is normal for the engine to use more engine oil during the running-in period. Make a point of checking the engine oil level more frequently during the running-in period than during normal operation. Carry out the First Service Inspection after the initial 20-hour running-in period."

If the smoke bothers you try advancing the injection timing 3* but I would run the motor in before you do anything. Compression test wouldn't hurt but given how fast it starts I would be very surprised if it has low compression.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:51   #17

Boat: Wanted - 22-23 Catalina trailer sailer

Too early to get excited my friend....
As other have stated, the smoke could be (and likely is, since you don't really know how long the re builder ran it) from the various assembly lubes used during the engine rebuild (i.e. valve guides, rings, threads, etc). You need to run it under load for several hours, with varying throttle, before getting too worried about exhaust output.

Since I'm not familiar with the design of our exhaust system, I also suggest it could be residual left over from your previous engine/setup burning out of the exhaust system?

If it still smokes after running/load testing for hours then like others have mentioned, use step by step process of elimination: check intake, fuel supply/pressures, injector timing, compression, leak down, etc.

Spoken by a former mechanic with many engine rebuilds under his belt.
Sail2there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:19   #18

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermuffin View Post
-

.........Around here it seems not many mechanics have experience with this engine, if anyone knows a good mechanic around the seattle Wa area let me know
Coastal Marine Engine in Fremont (Volvo Penta authorized). But Pat at Pat's Marine on the ship canal is very knowledgeable.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 15:59   #19

Thanks for all the responses, took out the injectors today to get them tested and it seems that they are covered in oil. most of it was above the copper washer so maybe they were installed with oil?

Also tried turning over the engine and it shoots out what seems like white

smoke that smells like oil, is this typical?

going to have an adapter made so i can check compression/do a leak down test.

i know a lot of you say to just run it and break it in, but i feel like these aren't typical issues even with a break in period. Id be fine with a bit of smoke but on cold starts it leaves a really bad sheen on the water(much worse than the video), and it makes me uncomfortable running it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201209_134807.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	228371  
Mastermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 16:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Again I dont know that engine but very odd the injectors covered in oil. Are they tight to get in & out? 2 injectors dont look as oily. Hope no crack but you said it didnt use any oil when you ran it.

Also odd spraying mist out injector holes, I wouldnt expect that.

Yes I'd agree with your thoughts its probably something more than just run in time needed & can understand you dont want to pump out unburnt oil or diesel.

Earlier in our engines life I put new rings in the worn out liner without honing it as I wanted to replace liner when I could source a new one. It blew a fair bit of oil smoke until it had done 50 hrs & then was ok but it didnt have the fuel burn problems that yours appears to have. However maybe yours is oil smoke tho thats more blue usually, of course it may be both.

Yes agree you need to do leakdown & compression test. I guess the rebuilder isnt helping?
Be a good idea to check the timing as well, I'd do that first but yr call.
I think I already said DougR knows volvos if you wanna PM him

Good luck with isolating the fault
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 16:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Again I dont know that engine but very odd the injectors covered in oil. Are they tight to get in & out? 2 injectors dont look as oily. Hope no crack but you said it didnt use any oil when you ran it.

Also odd spraying mist out injector holes, I wouldnt expect that.

Yes I'd agree with your thoughts its probably something more than just run in time needed & can understand you dont want to pump out unburnt oil or diesel.

Earlier in our engines life I put new rings in the worn out liner without honing it as I wanted to replace liner when I could source a new one. It blew a fair bit of oil smoke until it had done 50 hrs & then was ok but it didnt have the fuel burn problems that yours appears to have. However maybe yours is oil smoke tho thats more blue usually, of course it may be both.

Yes agree you need to do leakdown & compression test. I guess the rebuilder isnt helping?
Be a good idea to check the timing as well, I'd do that first but yr call.
I think I already said DougR knows volvos if you wanna PM him

Good luck with isolating the fault

Thanks, ill send Doug a PM. The smoke might actually be oil. When there is more sun its looks blue i think. Just put a Bore-scope in the cylinder and it looks like there is copper in there? I also noticed some copper like particles on the injectors

do the glow plugs have copper in them...?? could they have melted??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201209165240.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	228372  
Old 09-12-2020, 17:16   #22

The injectors usually have anti-seize paste on them but they may have used oil. No you should not have that much mist coming out on cranking unless it's oil you let in when you pulled up the injectors.
Old 09-12-2020, 17:34   #23

The copper is likely anti seize compound from the injectors. I suspect there was anti-seize on the injectors and the bores and someone poured oil down the in place injectors. It happens. Not good practice but it happens. You should coat them with anti-seize but not liberally.

Is the mist when you crank it water? Put a clean rag over it (Capt. Obvious says you'll need to weigh it down or hold it in place), crank, will dry if mainly water. but if it was water it should hydrolock after sitting a while . Given how much oil is on the injectors pictured I am sure there is now a fair amount of oil in the engine. It's gonna smoke pretty bad next time started.
Old 09-12-2020, 18:09   #24
Marine Service Provider

Yea agree with scubaseas copper could be from injectors or they could have used spray on gasket cement containing copper on the head gasket.
Good tip he gave you re checking mist.
Old 09-12-2020, 18:39   #25

Boat: Custom steel Herreshoff 50 foot schooner

Is the engine using any oil?
jordanbettis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 18:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
The copper is likely anti seize compound from the injectors. I suspect there was anti-seize on the injectors and the bores and someone poured oil down the in place injectors. It happens. Not good practice but it happens. You should coat them with anti-seize but not liberally.

Is the mist when you crank it water? Put a clean rag over it (Capt. Obvious says you'll need to weigh it down or hold it in place), crank, will dry if mainly water. but if it was water it should hydrolock after sitting a while . Given how much oil is on the injectors pictured I am sure there is now a fair amount of oil in the engine. It's gonna smoke pretty bad next time started.

tried the rag trick but it came back dry and a little warm. The glow-plugs are set up to turn on with the key so i might need to unplug them, they are probably burning the oil in the cylinder causing the smoke.

Also, i haven't really ran the engine long enough to determine if its burning oil.
Old 10-12-2020, 13:34   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
tried the rag trick but it came back dry and a little warm. The glow-plugs are set up to turn on with the key so i might need to unplug them, they are probably burning the oil in the cylinder causing the smoke.

Also, i haven't really ran the engine long enough to determine if its burning oil.

Yes the glowplugs burning the oil sounds like a good diagnosis. Good the rag came up dry.
Wonder if they poured oil around the injectors to test for leaks? I would have used soapy water but you never know.
Following with interest, hope you find the fault soon.
Old 11-12-2020, 15:28   #28

Injectors were tested today, nothing wrong with them all popping within 3300 psi or around 225 atm which i think is within spec. Put them back in and fired up the engine, still plenty of smoke and sheen. The smoke almost goes away at operating temp but the sheen is still there. Going to get a leak down tester and compression tester and get a machine shop to make me an adapter so i can really get a better idea of what is going on...
Old 11-12-2020, 15:42   #29

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Injectors were tested today, nothing wrong with them all popping within 3300 psi or around 225 atm which i think is within spec. Put them back in and fired up the engine, still plenty of smoke and sheen. The smoke almost goes away at operating temp but the sheen is still there. Going to get a leak down tester and compression tester and get a machine shop to make me an adapter so i can really get a better idea of what is going on...
Hi, does the engine still have the oil that was in it when purchased? If it does then I would change it for a known good quality oil for heavy diesel engines, (I use shell rimula) and run it in as already suggested and see if the sheen persists.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 16:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, does the engine still have the oil that was in it when purchased? If it does then I would change it for a known good quality oil for heavy diesel engines, (I use shell rimula) and run it in as already suggested and see if the sheen persists.

Yea, i changed the oil after i noticed the sheen on the water, put Delo 15-W40. not sure if that's the best oil to use.

Tags
engine, water