Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 09:36   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Engine Spares For Remote Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I don't have a permanent system set up but have been caught out with no working water pump">raw water pump.

Sorted by running garden hose from raw water strainer to shower sump pump (Jabsco) in the aft head and then back to the ( impeller-less) raw water pump on the engine... worked good... ran the engine for 7 continuous days... ( long story).
Good improvisation! I have all kinds of pumps on board (spare fresh water pressure pump, spare gray water pump, spare bilge pumps, spare macerator pump, etc., etc., etc.) and lots of miscellaneous hose, clamps, adapters, etc., so I'm sure we wouldn't get stopped by raw water flow issues.

Nevertheless, I'll have a complete spare raw water pump + rebuild kit and impellers.

Maybe I should pull the existing pump prophylactically and check the seals and bearings. Engine has over 3000 hours on it and only ever changed impellers and impeller cover (with a SpeedSeal).

I think. Sometimes I think a March pump would be a better replacement altogether. My main engine is below the waterline, so no priming issues. Hmmm.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47   #62

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good improvisation! I have all kinds of pumps on board (spare fresh water pressure pump, spare gray water pump, spare bilge pumps, spare macerator pump, etc., etc., etc.) and lots of miscellaneous hose, clamps, adapters, etc., so I'm sure we wouldn't get stopped by raw water flow issues.

Nevertheless, I'll have a complete spare raw water pump + rebuild kit and impellers.

Maybe I should pull the existing pump prophylactically and check the seals and bearings. Engine has over 3000 hours on it and only ever changed impellers and impeller cover (with a SpeedSeal).

I think. Sometimes I think a March pump would be a better replacement altogether. My main engine is below the waterline, so no priming issues. Hmmm.
We use a March pump on our 10kw Panda generator. The AC powering the pump is direct from the generator, and the set up works perfectly.

Consequently, the impeller is removed from the generator water pump, and since we don't need the small generator alternator either, the belt is removed as well.

I've considered a March pump for the raw water feed for our main engine, but for now have it plumbed to the raw water washdown pump as back-up. [As I previously described in this thread...]

Cheers! Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 10:23   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You're kind of stuffed if they do. But a spare one costs thousands. I don't know anyone who carries one.
I kind of figured that. It might be cheaper than finding one in east bum F##k Egypt but then again it is probably reliable. I guess I'd roll the dice your way.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:40   #64

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Concerning alternators - I have dual alternators on the main plus a heavy duty diesel generator. I have a spare battery charger and a spare inverter. I'm on the fence about a spare alternator.
Dockhead
one other issue with loosing the, (or one of the) alternators is that if it is a bearing locking up you loose the use of the engine. because the alternator belt on that engine also drives the freshwater cooling pump.

So either a spare alternator or a make-shift idler pulley to put in its place.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:43   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I kind of figured that. It might be cheaper than finding one in east bum F##k Egypt but then again it is probably reliable. I guess I'd roll the dice your way.
I would be interested to know if anyone else has an opinion about this.

Injection pumps are generally bulletproof provided you don't get water in them. We will have a few lines of defense against that, and probably we won't even buy any fuel along the way anyway -- we carry about 700 liters in the main tank.

Speaking of which, however -- does anyone know if the fuel is duty-free in the Faroes? If it is, we might plan on bunkering up there.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ref a March pump for the main engine.
First it’s gonna be a BIG one, then it should vary it’s output with engine RPM, not sure that full throttle water flow in your exhaust is what you want with the engine idling.
You could of course connect a ball valve to the throttle cable to vary water flow with RPM, but main engine water pumps seem to be so reliable, I’m not so sure your fixing something that Is broken.

Now a generator is a different animal, to be fine with it’s a constant RPM, or most are anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
Dockhead
one other issue with loosing the, (or one of the) alternators is that if it is a bearing locking up you loose the use of the engine. because the alternator belt on that engine also drives the freshwater cooling pump.

So either a spare alternator or a make-shift idler pulley to put in its place.
Thanks; a very good point.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-02-2018, 11:38   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ref a March pump for the main engine.
First it’s gonna be a BIG one, then it should vary it’s output with engine RPM, not sure that full throttle water flow in your exhaust is what you want with the engine idling.
You could of course connect a ball valve to the throttle cable to vary water flow with RPM, but main engine water pumps seem to be so reliable, I’m not so sure your fixing something that Is broken.

Now a generator is a different animal, to be fine with it’s a constant RPM, or most are anyway.
I have a water separator and large separate drain, so I doubt that this would be a problem, but nevertheless it's a good point, and so I think Plan 'A' will be to replace the impeller pump.

Obviously you don't want any seawater flow issues on a boat with a wet exhaust, quite apart from the risk of overheating the engine.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-02-2018, 00:30   #69

Quote:
I have a water separator and large separate drain, so I doubt that this would be a problem, but nevertheless it's a good point, and so I think Plan 'A' will be to replace the impeller pump.

Obviously you don't want any seawater flow issues on a boat with a wet exhaust, quite apart from the risk of overheating the engine.

March pump concept doesn't work with main engines.

too much forum reading going on here!!!!
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 05:04   #70

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I run a 4JH3 HTE and do a great deal of very remote cruising. I carry many of the spares already mentioned but I wish very much that I had carried a spare set of the oil cooling lines that run from the rear top of the block to the turbo. These are steel, subject to vibration, thin walled, have banjo bolts and copper compression washers on either end and when and if they break, they tend to break very near one end or the other. These are exceedingly difficult to jury rig and such a little and inexpensive part can spell the end of your use of the entire engine.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:18   #71

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
I would be interested to know if anyone else has an opinion about this.

Injection pumps are generally bulletproof provided you don't get water in them. We will have a few lines of defense against that, and probably we won't even buy any fuel along the way anyway -- we carry about 700 liters in the main tank.

Speaking of which, however -- does anyone know if the fuel is duty-free in the Faroes? If it is, we might plan on bunkering up there.
I would not carry a spare injection pump. They are expensive and very reliable like you say.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 06:19   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I run a 4JH3 HTE and do a great deal of very remote cruising. I carry many of the spares already mentioned but I wish very much that I had carried a spare set of the oil cooling lines that run from the rear top of the block to the turbo. These are steel, subject to vibration, thin walled, have banjo bolts and copper compression washers on either end and when and if they break, they tend to break very near one end or the other. These are exceedingly difficult to jury rig and such a little and inexpensive part can spell the end of your use of the entire engine.
Great advice; added to the list!
Walt Whitman
Old 13-02-2018, 06:29   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I learned something from John Muir’s VW book, on things like lines or his example was spark plug wires, carry the longest as a spare, it will fit where the shorter one goes too.
However I’d be tempted to buy some bulk hose and the banjo ends so that I could fit hose on the ends with clamps.
I’d say buy aircraft fittings as most are designed to be reusable and you only replace the hose, but I bet the Yanmar has metric fittings, and those are rare for aircraft. They do exist, just are uncommon.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 08:43   #74

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Plus one for a64pilot. I now carry flex hose with banjo ends long enough to fit several of these external oil routing applications as well hose barbs that fit these oil cooler line outlets, spare bulk hose and small hose clamps. I have replaced with new the one that broke and plan to replace all the oil lines before our next expedition to the northern high latitudes.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 14:59   #75

Boat: Outbound 44

DH
When you are done with this list let us know what the total cost is. This is starting to sound like another plus for a catamaran with its but in spare engine.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, remote