Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 14:15   #16

Boat: Cavalier 37
Re: Engine Spontaneously Starting

The saga continues without a solution yet. The electrician ive now got has found some dodgy work done by a previous so called electrician including that the isolation switches dont totally isolate the system and he seem to have put a switch on the negative cable somewhere which apparently could be the problem. I dont understand this bit so im going back for more explanation. The thing that puzzles me is why it is acting up now. I got rid of the dodgy electrician a couple of years ago and this self starting is a new phenomenon. It’s also puzzling that when it self starts it stops when the engine starts running. It doesnt continue to drive the starter motor (fortunately!). Anyway I’ll keep updating this thread till it’s solved.
micwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:24   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

ghosts in the machine?
Old Today, 14:24   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you open the switch on the negative cable, it SHOULD keep the engine from starting.

In any case, if the starter is energized by the normal methods, it is stopped by taking your finger off a button or letting go of a key. It is truly amazing that whatever circuit is energizing the starter also de-energizes it when the engine starts.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:05   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hi micwhite, chilly morning today .

Regarding your engine starting, obviously the issue is an intermittent electrical problem i.e. the hardest problem to solve. While I have a couple ideas, first let me ask -

1. are you using the Volvo supplied engine panel or a custom instrument panel?
2. What is the switching / charging arrangement between the start and house batteries?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:14   #20

Assuming you have separate starter and house batteries, there will be some sort of device splitting the charging current from the alternator to to each battery bank. This can be a mechanical switch, a splitter diode or a voltage-controlled relay. That gadget keeps the two batteries separate, stopping one from discharging the other, but allows them to be connected together to be charged from one alternator. If it fails, it can mean that the house and starter batteries are effectively coupled together all the time, not just when the engine is running, and the battery isolation switch is effectively bypassed. I would look very carefully at any voltage-controlled relay and its associated wiring. I had one once—never again.
My own preference is to have two completely separate circuits—the factory-fitted alternator charging only the starter battery, and a second alternator charging only the house batteries.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:22   #21

Your wiring harness has dodgy connections.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine