Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 00:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7
Engine starting problem

I have a volvo penta tmd-22p engine ( typical sailing boat 85hp engine) on my sailing boat. It normally starts perfectly except when, after running it for a good hour i stop, switch it off for a whIle (2hrs or more) and then try to start it. Its as if there is no electrical connection as turining the key has no effect. The batteries would be perfectly charged.
The only way i can start it again is if i switch off the battery banks from the main switches for a minute and thenswitch them on again. After that the engine starts perfectly the moment i turn the key.
Has anyone come across this problem before?
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:22   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Engine starting problem

A voltage drop test will confirm, but I'd suspect a voltage drop across the battery switch you are turning off and on. Easy test. Use a multimeter on volts, pos lead on the + battery terminal neg lead first the batt side of the switch while turning the key, then the starter side of the switch. Both readings should be under 1/2 a volt max. The nearer zero the better.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7
Re: Engine starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
A voltage drop test will confirm, but I'd suspect a voltage drop across the battery switch you are turning off and on. Easy test. Use a multimeter on volts, pos lead on the + battery terminal neg lead first the batt side of the switch while turning the key, then the starter side of the switch. Both readings should be under 1/2 a volt max. The nearer zero the better.
Ill try it and let you know! Thank you!
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine