Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2022, 12:30   #1

Boat: Columbia sloop 40
engine won't turn over

One of the 8.2 liter Detroit diesels on the boat I recently bought stopped turning over. It started right up and ran smoothly for a week on a long sea trip and a number of short ones until recently. The starter appears to respond normally with key activation as well as on the bench test. The 10 teeth on the bendix appear undamaged, as do the teeth on the flywheel. The batteries are new and start the other engine well. I have taken the starter out and checked it and the flywheel a number of times. We are cruising in the Bahamas, where Wx, distances, supplies, communication, shipping and tax are important considerations, and any ideas on cause of my engine problem would be very much appreciated! Thank you fellow members for your time and caring!
Carolyn Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 13:54   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: engine won't turn over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn Phillip View Post
One of the 8.2 liter Detroit diesels on the boat I recently bought stopped turning over. It started right up and ran smoothly for a week on a long sea trip and a number of short ones until recently. The starter appears to respond normally with key activation as well as on the bench test. The 10 teeth on the bendix appear undamaged, as do the teeth on the flywheel. The batteries are new and start the other engine well. I have taken the starter out and checked it and the flywheel a number of times. We are cruising in the Bahamas, where Wx, distances, supplies, communication, shipping and tax are important considerations, and any ideas on cause of my engine problem would be very much appreciated! Thank you fellow members for your time and caring!
Diesels require only 2 things to run - air and fuel.

Assuming it has air, …..

Fuel pump, lines, filters, timing, injectors???
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 14:00   #3

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Can you bar the engine over by hand?
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 14:10   #4

engine won't turn over

Is it possible to manually rotate the engine with a socket and bar? Is the coolant level normal? Is the oil level normal. Were there any unusual sound ,smells or noises prior to the event? Is this an 8.2 Liter GM ( fuel pincher) and not the 8V71 Detroit from your earlier posts..... I only ask because the diagnosis procedure is totally different ie you can test the 8.2 4stroke engine starter motor by exchanging it with the one from your other engine but the 8V71’s in twin installations are often left and right hand rotation and swapping the starters could be problematic. The 8V71’s also provide the opportunity to view the pistons and rings by removing the airbox covers.
You mentioned in your post that you had the starter motor off before, was this for an earlier starting problem?
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 15:00   #5

Carolyn found the problem to the 8.2 diesel not turning over! YAYY!!... Peering inside the dismantled bendix off the starter with a flashlight showed teeth had been ground off. Thank you members for your time!
Old 28-08-2022, 15:10   #6

Wow, 2 hours to remove and diagnose the starter.......well done Carolyn, if you ever need a job I could use your help.
Pete.
Old 28-08-2022, 15:52   #7

hahahahaha....thanks Pete for the kind compliment. We think you are truly blessed mate with N Queensland being one of loveliest ocean spots ever, and our "Bahs " 2-boats-2-much" is abundance!
Old 28-08-2022, 18:07   #8

Well, here in Innisfail, north of Magnetic island it’s drizzling rain so not feeling too blessed.... be happy about where you are and that your engine problem was a small one.

Tags
engine