Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 20:24   #1

EV Powered boat....

Hey All,

I know there are a million conversions on sail boats, that's all I found when searching this idea except for a few unfinished projects and multi-million dollar yachts..

Anyways, I am a big electric solar fan and electric car fan. I currently drive a tesla and 100% of my house electricity is covered by a grid-tied w/battery solar system I DIY installed myself.

So the idea of getting a boat has been popping up in my head again lately, because i just went through a divorce and being forced to sell my house and move on to something else to live in... but right now is just stupid really to buy another house...

I have always had a dream of living on a sail boat and sailing the world, but at the moment i am tethered to my job location, so most of my trips would be at best short distance weekend trips really..

So i have been helping out a fellow EV friend of mine the past year with his tesla powered drift C10 pickup truck and such, so it got me thinking of maybe going the powerboat route for more comfort and room and potentially convert one to electric. Yes this would cripple the range very much, but with how cheap batteries are getting these days and how far solar is going, i think it could make for an amazing day trip boat with generator for backup charging...
storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 17:23   #2

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat
Re: EV Powered boat....

There's the Greenline range of hybrids as production boats, and there are likely other startups in USA. In Europe, there's a larger range of manufacturers but most are just starting out, with the oldest being Silent Yachts who make from 55' up. In Asia, there's some interesting startups who usually have their first demo boat(s) but are still ramping up, like Aquanima.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 22:05   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: EV Powered boat....

Power boats are generally designed with large motors in mind and sacrifice increased power demand and fuel use in exchange for more living space.

Sailboats are designed with the limitations of sail power in mind and generally opt for easier to push hulls in exchange for more constrained living volume.

I have acquaintances that motored around the world on a Nordhavn 43 and got something in the vicinity of 3nm/gal at 6kt ($59k in fuel).

If you motored a large sailboat, let’s say a Santa Cruz 50 or a Sundeer 60 you would get 8-10nm/gal and would have a similar square footage of living space.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat