Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 11:12   #1

Boat: C&C 38
Exhaust Device

I'd appreciate any help in understanding this device. It's in the exhaust path of a Yanmar 3qm30 on a C&C38. I'm assuming it's a float to prevent seawater from being forced back up to the cylinders (if you're pooped?).

I'd like to know if it's a good thing or a potential source of failure. I just had the exhaust pipe part at the top of the loop out of the manifold and the seawater output backed up the pipe and was flooding the boat. So it could have gotten into the cylinders. I'm thinking this thing kept the water from getting out - altho' without exhaust to push it, it might not have anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 11:59   #2

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Re: Exhaust device

Can't see the picture.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:04   #3

Boat: Cole, Nantucket, 33

I have just gone thru this with my yanmar 3gm30. I think you are referring to the mixer box. I tried running without it and it does a few things. It does as you decribe in a following sea and restrict the ability of water to be forced back through the manifold. It also acts as a muffler and you will find this out real quick if you have to motor for any distance and I think it cools the exhaust / water mix before being forced out the exhaust. Would definitely not run without it. Cheers Reid
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:35   #4

I hope the picture is showing up - I see it on my browser.

As a 2ndary question, after taking off the heat wrap I was appalled to find that my exhaust piping out of the engine is a bunch of rusty 1.5" steel plumbing fittings. Obviously that can work - it only came apart because a section at the top of the loop was only threaded in 1 turn. But I'd like to improve on this. Any suggestions on how to go on this would be greatly appreciated. I would imagine a fabricated stainless tube similar to motorcycle exhaust would be OK.

Thanks, Ron
Old 26-08-2011, 12:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaila View Post
I hope the picture is showing up - I see it on my browser.
Ron,

The photo you have tried to insert is linked to a your personal google mail account and so while you can see it (because you're logged into your mail account), no one else can.

Hope this helps.

Tate
Old 26-08-2011, 12:59   #6

OK, thanks Tate. Don't have time to figure it out. Ried gave me a good answer and the 2nd question doesn't need a picture.

Ron

Tags
exhaust