Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2020, 21:20   #16

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Expanding wet exhaust hose?

Hi. Nice boat. What engine? Is a cast stainless exhaust available? I ask because a lot of Diesel engines develop problems because iron rusts to the point of failure. At the water injection point you have a very hot gas mixing with sea water and with even the best 316 stainless, it’s something you need to keep an eye on. There is a shop in the Miami area that specializes in exhaust systems and their web pages have a lot of information.
If the fit is tight, sandpaper it as smooth as possible, boil the hose and liquid soap and fit while very hot. But...and it’s a serious but, this technique has a limit because if you stretch the hose too much, cracks will develope at this area. You can break the bond inside the fabric and rubber construction and weaken the hose significantly. Some people spend a little time trimming the wire nicely and putting a dab of sealer to stop the wire from rusting which pulls the hose apart.
I like tee bolt clamps or 316 euro types. Check for gas leaks with the engine running and a tad of bac pressure. Whatever you do, please buy a carbon monoxide detector or two. One for the engine area, one for any sleeping cabin.
I remember all too well a young woman who died taking a shower because of carbon monoxide from a faulty heater.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a manatee who always wears his mask.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 09:41   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Boil the end, use grease not soap. Be quick, it hardens quick as it cools a bit. I use a little coffee cup spiral heater to boil the water, hose end fits in cup good.
Do not use grease or any petroleum based lubricant. It will shorten the fife of the hose.

Something learned from Peggie Hall - the head mistress: use KY jelly. It evaporates completely, leaves no residue. I've done this with plumbing fittings but the exhaust hose is a challenge.

Best solution: If there is enough material on the fitting find a machine shop to turn it down.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 10:09   #18

I can't even find anyone who sells a 2 1/8" ID hose online. I'd swap the fitting to a standard size if I could, this will potentially become a recurring issue.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 10:20   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You guys need to look harder 2-1/8” and it’ll get to you sooner than the tricks which will lead to premature hose failure.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trid...and-water-hose

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 11:59   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 354

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/sh...aust-hose-foot
Old 14-08-2020, 15:33   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Someone in Australia will stock it, yellow pages and phone calls, if a respondent does not stock it ask for suggestions from them as to who might. Another option is calling the wholesale distributors and asking which retailers they sell that particular size hose to.

My experience with the non wire reinforced is that it's widely available in the 1/8" size increments because it is stocked in short, straight lengths. You could make an adapter and use a short section of non wire reinforced the join the 2 1/8" sections. If the 2 1/8" exhaust/adapter solid ends were butted up together the lack of collapse resistance in the hose would not matter.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 19:46   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Since you need to do a 180 in short order I would recommend getting a fiberglass 180 and using straight hoses. Short sections that could be used for the first section could be without wire and the long run hose with wire. Hose that is under tension/compression from tight bends fails sooner anyway.
Likely the hose without wire will make the jump to the engine if heated and lubed. Rectorseal is what I recommend on those hoses as both a sealer and lube. Double clamp of course. Prefer the non perforated SS clamps as they are stronger and easier on the rubber.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 07:15   #23

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Good news. Following some tips on here, managed to get the hose on today with my better half assisting. Used dish soap, boiling water, twisting and brute force.

Thanks everyone!
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 08:57   #24

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. Nice boat. What engine? Is a cast stainless exhaust available? I ask because a lot of Diesel engines develop problems because iron rusts to the point of failure. At the water injection point you have a very hot gas mixing with sea water and with even the best 316 stainless, it’s something you need to keep an eye on. There is a shop in the Miami area that specializes in exhaust systems and their web pages have a lot of information.

Mark,
Which shop in Miami?

Will eventually need to replace my elbow on my 4.236 and not really loving the durability of the thin walled SS replacements (11 ga.) offered by some. The original Osco #18250 (cast iron) is discontinued and have not been able to find a direct replacement.
So basically looking at my options/resources before I pull the trigger.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 09:08   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Mark,
Which shop in Miami?

Will eventually need to replace my elbow on my 4.236 and not really loving the durability of the thin walled SS replacements (11 ga.) offered by some. The original Osco #18250 (cast iron) is discontinued and have not been able to find a direct replacement.
So basically looking at my options/resources before I pull the trigger.
I don’t think you mentioned which engine you have but this is where we got our stainless injection elbow and they have them for many engines:
https://hdimarine.net/product-category/yanmar/

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 09:13   #26

Perkins 4.236
Old 18-08-2020, 10:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Good news. Following some tips on here, managed to get the hose on today with my better half assisting. Used dish soap, boiling water, twisting and brute force.

Thanks everyone!
I'm fairly certain it was the "brute force" which proved the effective agent in you're success, finesse generally fails to greatly contribute in these situations. Well she's done now and you can forget it for the next ten or so years.
Old 19-08-2020, 09:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t think you mentioned which engine you have but this is where we got our stainless injection elbow and they have them for many engines:
https://hdimarine.net/product-category/yanmar/

Nick,
Contacted HDI and they are only currently offering the elbows for the smaller Perkins motors.

They said they could make one in 6 mo. and were looking for "donors". Obviously we need ours, so I'll send them specs and see what they can do in the meantime.
Thanks again for the link.
Old 20-08-2020, 01:32   #29

They are not hard to knock up out of off-the-shelf SS pipe and tube fittings.
Old 24-08-2020, 08:39   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
If soap and twist won't do it try an exhaust pipe expander. I used on my exhaust hose 20+ years ago, still fine.
I've done this with sanitary hose: boil to soften, use expander, and chill in cold water before removing expander. Worked wonderfully. The rubber/wire exhaust hose would be less malleable, but it's pretty hard to resist one of those expanders; they're made to stretch steel!
mf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust