Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 16:16   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Feathering/folding props

I am looking to replace the 3 blace fixed props on my 46' cat with feathering or folding props. From studying forums and manufacturer's websites I gather that no matter which prop I choose i will likely gain at least 1 knot under sail. The most likely candidates are the Kiwi-prop, Autostream, Gori and Autoprop. Autoprop sound great but they are very pricey, especially when you need 2. Gori is appealing because they present less radius when folded, which in the case of a cat with daggerboards and no protection for the props could be a good thing. They also claim an "overdrive" function usable in calm water. However, this sounds suspiciously like advertising hyperbole. Kiwi-props are lightweight, less expensive and theoretically repairable if damage occurs to a blade. Autostreams look bombproof. Does anybody have any experience with these? Thanks!
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 20:34   #2

I have a 48ft cat and fitted 2 x 19” Autostreams about 6 months ago after researching all the brands you mention and feathering or folding. Previously had 3 blade fixed props. I get at least 2 knots extra under sail. In light winds they are great, so I use motors far less now. Reversing is much better. The best thing is that can be adjusted easily. I’ve adjusted the pitch to give me the best performance at 2,000 rpm. Fitting and maintenance is simple.

Regards

Geoff
geoffgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 10:55   #3

I 'm going to replace my fixed 2 blade with the kiiwi prop next june when I haul out to paint. Looks like the best buy adn perforance for my needs. I like the fact that each blade can be replaced seperatly if broken. It's going on a 32' sloop. I think I'll also add that urathane spacer at the coupling at the same time.
Old 19-12-2005, 11:42   #4

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Geoff and Maddog,
Thanks for the input. 2 knots under sail is quite a gain in performance!
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 19:14   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Lightbulb Flex-O-Fold Props

Mike, You might want to check out Flex-O-Fold props also (http://www.flexofold.com). I put two folding three blade props on my 37' Privilege cat and have been very happy with them. I get at least an extra knot under power and estimate an extra half knot under sail (maybe more, but haven't had much chance to sail lately). I was very impressed with the engineering of the props and each blade is interchangeable on the hub due to precise balancing. If you have saildrives, also think about changing zincs and whether or not you need to remove props to change zincs. I have Volvo saildrives and have to remove the props so I picked Flexo-O-Fold because they are relatively easy to take apart even underwater. They are also fairly easy to re-pitch by just changing blades. Prices were also reasonalble. I paid about $2,800 for two props.