Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

First Battery-Powered Ferries to Be Built at Clyde Shipyard

"The boats, to be operated by the ferry firm Caledonian Macbrayne, will carry up to 150 passengers and accommodate about 23 cars or two HGVs".

First battery-powered ferries to be built at Clyde shipyard | UK news | The Guardian

Actually they seem to be more diesel electric, topped up by being plugged in ashore overnight. And the routes are in the Scottish Islands, so fairly short. Seem to be using Lithium batteries.

"with a service speed of nine knots and will be powered by small diesel generator sets, feeding power to a 400 volt switchboard, which will supply power to electric propulsion motors that turn the propulsion units. In addition two battery banks with a total of 700 kWh will also be able supply power to the units reducing fuel and CO2 consumption by at least 20%. The battery banks will be charged overnight from the shoreside power supply. It is hoped that in the future energy from local wind, wave or solar systems will be used to charge the batteries."

Scottish yard to build two hybrid Ropax ferries

Whether or not commercially viable will be another thing but anything that helps move the technology on (through practical application) is only a good thing I do really like the idea of electric power onboard - and no, I ain't a greenie (hell, I would run my boat on burning penguins if it saved a dollar ), but it's people like me who are the future of "green" (Lol!) energy........if it works and is better, I will use it.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery