Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2018, 15:56   #1

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Flexofold overlap Shaft taper?

Hello all.

We're trying to set up our prop shafts to have the proper gap between cutlass bearing and propeller.

We don't have our propellers yet, as we're not launching for some months. If I order the props now, I may have trouble convincing FlexOfold that they've not been used, and have not been in the water for more than the specified "8 days".

We have a 1.25" shaft, with a standard SAE taper. But I'll take any measurements offered, metric or otherwise, just specify your shaft diameter and the distance from the top of the taper to the inner face of the prop.

Flexofold has not been very helpful with other questions, so I'd like to try my luck here first.

My question is this: How far up the shaft does the flexofold, three blade, prop go? Does it reach beyond the top of the taper? Or does it stop before the end of the taper? And if so, in either case, how far?

I know most props don't reach the top of the taper, but I'm trying not to assume anything here.

I know the dimensions are on the site, but they don't show where the end of the shaft is, so I can't accurately extrapolate from what's offered.

Thanks in advance, to those with answers.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:43   #2

Re: Flexofold overlap Shaft taper?

The standard rule of thumb for propeller overhang is one shaft diameter. That is, the distance from the rear of the cutless bearing to the front of the prop hub should be approximately the same as the diameter of the shaft.

If the hub doesn't come all the way to the top of the taper, or goes a bit beyond the top of the taper it wont be a problem. Set the shafts up with the top of the taper 1.25" from the rear of the cutless and it will be fine.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:57   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Flexofold overlap Shaft taper?

Thanks Doug, that's pretty much what I decided to do. Though I was using 1.5 times the shaft diameter as the "standard".

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote