Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 03:45   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Flushing A Seawater Cooled Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I used vinegar on my 3GM30 Yanmar a number of times. Used a small bilge pump in a bucket with a return hose from the exhaust manifold to circulate it around for an hour or two, appeared to work well from the amount of gunk the vinegar picked up.
Interesting, I wonder if your thermostat had failed in an fully or partially open position.

The raw water cooled GM series don't allow water to circulate though block or head with a closed (cold) thermostat. Well, they allow a very small amount but the bypass hole in the thermostat is only about 1 or 1.5 mm in diameter (1/16"). Nor does water circulate though block or head with the thermostat removed so the only way to flush these engines is to either:

1. Remove thermostat and close off the bypass hose (that's the small -short- hose).

or

2. Have the engine and flushing agent at normal operating temperature (not easy to do)

or

3. Have a faulty thermostat that is permanently fully or at least half open.

I don't know but I think that Buhk (and perhaps Beta) engines are similar.

See also
Yanmar GM Series (RWC) Thermostat Alert. - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
and
Marine Diesel Thermostats: NOT WHAT THEY SEEM - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:12   #17

Boat: Beneteau 343 - Sea Flourishes

I flush my Yanmar 3YM30 with a product called SaltAway (Salt-Away Home Page) - I added a valve on the raw water intake just prior to the strainer. To this valve, I installed an 8' length of braided stainless steel washing machine hose that terminates in a female hose fitting. I simply screw in the SaltAway mixing unit that has a garden hose attached and flush the engine by opening the valve and closing the raw water intake through-hull. I guess this hose could also be used in an emergency to dewater the bilge, although the raw water pump doesn't really move that much water volume.
mikequig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Any sort of mild acid will dissolve salts, including vinegar. I would not put HCl in my engine. HCl will dissolve zinc, which is the anodic protection for your engine.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, flushing, water