Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 13:42   #1

Boat: Carena 40
Ford Lehman Service in The Netherlands

We have a Carena 40 from 1980 with the original Ford Lehman 2712e 80 hp motor. I am looking a company in The Netherlands that services these engines.

Engine starts up very easily with no hesitation and appears to run very well with less than 4000 hours on the meter. Even after sitting for 5 months.

We just bought our boat last year and the survey had no comments over the motor except for a loose motor mount nut that was immediately tightened.

The previous owner maintained it himself meticulously and switched it over to 100% synthetic oil about 10 years ago.

I really have no complaints but thought that it would be prudent to get a professional opinion with regards to the state of the engine.

The only real concern I have is at idle (~600 rpm) there is quite a loud sound (tap?) from the engine. When I increase to 1000 rpm it smooths out and sounds normal. Is this normal? Or is it a sign a something sinister looming in the future? This is after all a 36 year old engine.

Any recommendations for a good reliable Ford Lehman service in The Netherlands would be appreciated.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:34   #2

Re: Ford Lehman Service in The Netherlands

The 2712e would have to be the best of the K Mart engines of that era, only a couple of small quirks. They use valve rotation caps which means you have double the valve lash clearance wear happening, keep valve clearances in check, hopefully this is the noise you are hearing.
Those fitted with Simms Minimec fuel pumps require the Cam box oil to changed and level checked at regular intervals.
Using a full Synthetic oil in a motor of that age is not sanctioned by a lot oil makers, this motor comes from a time when Mono grades where used. Google the subject you will find a lot of info out there.
The lift pump has a screen filter under the top cap this often gets over looked at service time. Have seen these units with 16,000 + hours in commercial vessels without a major.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman, Netherlands, service