Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 00:58   #31

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Four stroke 5-6hp for 25' SV, which make?

Mark,

You said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
....The only problem is fuel consumption. 6 litres an hour is getting up there, to motor for longer periods is going to take a significant amount of fuel.
I disregarded fuel use, it is not significantly different and the OP said;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
Need one to propel 25" Folkboat type sailing vessel, hang off bracket on stern. Will be used mainly as auxillary for in and out of harbor - not for iron spinnaker when wind fades when sailing......
Four strokes are just too heavy for a transom mount on a "25' Folkboat type vessel". The excess weight hanging so far aft will be Very hard on the boats trim and performance.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 04:44   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat
Hate my Honda 4 stroke 5 hp. Starts hard, constantly needs carb cleaning because gunk it gets from Ethanol. Last Honda anything I buy.
I agree, had for for a month , kids couldn't start it , dog of a thing traded it at the time for a 2stroke 2clyindet Johnson 9hp , sweet engine. Now only buy Yamaha

Dave
Old 16-02-2013, 06:55   #33

Re: Four stroke 5-6hp for 25' SV, which make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I was hoping to have 9.9s to sell at the show but we haven't gotten them yet. The Lehr booth had three of them on display. One was a pull start, the other was electric start and the third was really neat. It was electric start with a lithium ion battery right under the hood. We cranked the engine a few times and the little battery spun it nicely. We should get the pull start and regular electric start motors in early march. The one with the self contained battery will be a couple of months more.
I'm getting more and more sold on the idea of a Lehr. Not having to worry about fuel getting old in an outboard that might sit for a while between uses is a real plus.

And, the easy starting. Some days I thought I was going to pull my arm out starting my gas outboards when they decided it was a day they didn't feel like starting.

I'm going to the Gulport MS boat show in April. I'm hoping someone will be there with one to actually get to look at one.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:54   #34

Boat: Mac 26X
I won't argue known facts. 4 stroke engines use far less fuel, everyone knows this. They are heavier, but do fine "hanging off the transom" a Sooooooo many know from experience. I do understand some have issues with being forced into using something and change is a PITA. But facts are facts.