Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2008, 01:10   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Oh, Good Grief!!!!
Indeed!
On what basis would we decide to add an aftermarket product of unknown formulation, to a fuel of unknown (& likely changing /w brand) formulation?
Additive manufacturer’s claims?
Anecdotal testimonials, of unknown provenance?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 01:23   #17

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!
On what basis would we decide to add an aftermarket product of unknown formulation, to a fuel of unknown (& likely changing /w brand) formulation?
On the basis of blatent consumerism? LOL
Old 19-06-2008, 03:23   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Unfortunately Chiefs "Good Grief" is a little out of context due to several posts before hand having to be removed.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 04:15   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Perhaps I'm missing something here but that means you are in the ER every couple of days changing oil soaked Toilet paper?

Or on a 20 day passage, 20 of them have accumulated awaiting disposal

Good Grief!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 09:41   #20

Boat: Commander, 21'
Mis-information

Unfortunately, I cannot fully explain some misconceptions and total outright myths without approaching the merchandising line of this group. I will be happy to explain the error off line without any sales gimmick or inticement to purchase.
To say you would be hauling rolls of TP in the bilges on a 20-day cruise is just crazy. Obviously you haven't done any homework. So before I sail off into the sunset and leave this crazy discussion to those who 1) have never tried it, 2) listen to those who have never tried it, or 3) just want to post incorrect concepts, let me assure you I've used it since 1960 including in marine situations and ask your grandfather if it works. He probably was a consumer.
So long.
Ed
crest25 at verizon.net
Crest25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 10:05   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
A little off-topic, I suppose, but that hasn't stopped me yet: My Yanmar 3GM30 uses a "side-loading" oil filter, guaranteed to make a horrific mess when changing oil in the cramped space of my tiny engine compartment. At the suggestion of some hot rod friends, I installed a FRAM HP-1 system on an accessible bulkhead, and replaced the original filter with the included pickup plate. Hoses were custom made at a nearby marine supplier. Now, I just place a plastic baggie, after loosening the filter, around the old element, spin it off and dispose of it at the oil waste station. I suppose I could use it longer than the 50 hour schedule, but I haven't yet. I have just achieved the 56 hour point, having changed the oil at the 25 hour reading. I will be keeping the oil analysis records from each oil change to see if there is any unusual stuff going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-19-2008 9-51-08 AM_0001- reduced.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	3966  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 12:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crest25 View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot fully explain some misconceptions and total outright myths without approaching the merchandising line of this group. I will be happy to explain the error off line without any sales gimmick or inticement to purchase.
To say you would be hauling rolls of TP in the bilges on a 20-day cruise is just crazy. Obviously you haven't done any homework. So before I sail off into the sunset and leave this crazy discussion to those who 1) have never tried it, 2) listen to those who have never tried it, or 3) just want to post incorrect concepts, let me assure you I've used it since 1960 including in marine situations and ask your grandfather if it works. He probably was a consumer.
So long.
Ed
crest25 at verizon.net
many thousands of engines have endured thousands of hours with OE oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
A little off-topic, I suppose, but that hasn't stopped me yet: My Yanmar 3GM30 uses a "side-loading" oil filter, guaranteed to make a horrific mess when changing oil in the cramped space of my tiny engine compartment. At the suggestion of some hot rod friends, I installed a FRAM HP-1 system on an accessible bulkhead, and replaced the original filter with the included pickup plate. Hoses were custom made at a nearby marine supplier. Now, I just place a plastic baggie, after loosening the filter, around the old element, spin it off and dispose of it at the oil waste station. I suppose I could use it longer than the 50 hour schedule, but I haven't yet. I have just achieved the 56 hour point, having changed the oil at the 25 hour reading. I will be keeping the oil analysis records from each oil change to see if there is any unusual stuff going on.
are you still in warranty?
if so I'd revert to the OE until your out of warranty.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 13:15   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
and ask your grandfather if it works. He probably was a consumer.
Actually it was my Grandfather who was a very highly qualified Mechanic, that I learn't that this sort of thing is not good. Maybe it is a case of loo paper rolls were different in those days.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 14:08   #24

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed!
I though most people were commenting on their experiences with this filter. I'm not sure anyone advocated using it.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 16:23   #25

nevermonday, I'm long out of warranty, I just took a while getting all of the engine support systems completed before ignition. My local engine gurus (all very experienced marine guys) concurred with my judgement and decision. We'll see what the test of time and oil analysis tell us.
Old 19-06-2008, 19:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
nevermonday, I'm long out of warranty, I just took a while getting all of the engine support systems completed before ignition. My local engine gurus (all very experienced marine guys) concurred with my judgement and decision. We'll see what the test of time and oil analysis tell us.
I don't like the added resistance and length of flow.
You can easily solve the dripping issue when changing filter with a 1 gal ziplock bag. Even in the stock location
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 20:15   #27

Boat: Morgan OI,41ft.seadancer
As a ASE certified master tech of 35 years I can't believe that those are still for sale. If you have metal filing in your oil you have a real problem. Why does your oil get dirty? Combustion. Heat & shear to your oil. Put your money into a high quality symthetic oil & use good oil filters don't wast your $ on voodoo.
fcsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 20:55   #28

never monday, you make several assumptions that, unfortunately, don't enter into my solution. One, that the friction and length of flow are significant. They are not, the hose diameters are large, and lengths are short. Two, that one would waste a bunch of money when a simple solution as a plastic bag would suffice. I tried it, found the space too constricted to swing a filter wrench, easily manipulate the bag, wait for the system to drain adequately, then clean up the oil that inevitably leaks, and then discover the joys of working blind in tight quarters to spin a new cylinder on and tighten it adequately. I wanted a system that any member of my crew could maintain, that had the necessary degree of dependability, and that reassured me that adequate lubrication was going to occur for the sizeable investment I had already made in the engine, the preparation of the compartment, and the intended use of the engine. Third, your comment about a "stock" location brings a smile to my face, and possibly others', since the curious arrangement of many boats is not "stock", the position of an oil filter, or a dipstick, or any number of other parts on an engine can often be in a location that takes a double-jointed yoga master to engage. I'm sorry it makes you feel ill at ease. It did, also, for me. So I created a workable and satisfying solution for myself. Maybe it will work for someone else, that is the reason, I believe, for this forum - the exchange of ideas, novel solutions to common problems, and support.

Tags
oil