Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 21:22   #1

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design
Freeze Plug on Perkins

Going to replace freeze plug in the middle of my block, on my 20 yr old M30 3 cylinder perama perkins....I can just get to it after removing cable linkages...it's seeping just slightly...
Just going to punch 1 side and pull on the opposite lip to pull off....or...drill a hole and yank out...anything else I should know?, any little tricks? Going to Napa to get a replacement and use Loctite on the new one...simply punch new one in with an appropriate socket...
am I missing anything? Informed replies appreciated...
Old 25-01-2016, 23:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: FREEZE PLUG ON PERKINS

I have a 35yr old perkins and the core plugs or freeze plugs as you call them are fine. Unless you have them badly coroded i.e. leaking or the block has frozen and pushed them out already I am curious to know why you want to change them/it ?
Old 26-01-2016, 00:24   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: FREEZE PLUG ON PERKINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I have a 35yr old perkins and the core plugs or freeze plugs as you call them are fine. Unless you have them badly coroded i.e. leaking or the block has frozen and pushed them out already I am curious to know why you want to change them/it ?

From the first post "it's seeping just slightly"
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:19   #4

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
FREEZE PLUG ON PERKINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
Going to replace freeze plug in the middle of my block, on my 20 yr old M30 3 cylinder perama perkins....I can just get to it after removing cable linkages...it's seeping just slightly...
Just going to punch 1 side and pull on the opposite lip to pull off....or...drill a hole and yank out...anything else I should know?, any little tricks? Going to Napa to get a replacement and use Loctite on the new one...simply punch new one in with an appropriate socket...

Not as easy as it seems, if your using a bronze replacement plug, banging these things with a socket and hammer can distort them and they leak
Rent or borrow a installer, they come with proper sized cups with a raised edge to fit the concave side of the plug.
Also get an extra one in case you screw up the first one.
Coat the inside of the block hole with some #2 non hardening permatex gasket sealer.
If you've got room to use leverage to push on the installer plug it will work quite nicely.
Good luck.
https://www.google.com/search?q=free...82311130115948

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 14:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FREEZE PLUG ON PERKINS

You can also buy a rubber, expandable plug should some reason you can't get the metal one back in. I've only experience with mild steel, cad plated plugs myself, not bronze ones
I tapped them in with a hammer and socket, sort of like changing U joints

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:44   #6

Re: Freeze Plug on Perkins

gentleman, many thanks for your replies!
Old 26-01-2016, 19:37   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTHAW View Post
If you have trouble, the car parts places have a mechanical replacement that is slip fit with a center bolt to expand it. No hammering required. Shown is one with rubber and one all metal.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 20:03   #8

the expandable rubber one looks great, easy to install I would think...are there ,...any...disadvantages to this???....why bother with the metal plug?
the rubber one would be a much easier install......much!!!
It is going on a fresh water coolant channel in the middle of the block....about the size of a quarter...
That rubber one looks easy .....I am really setting onto going with the rubber...please tell me why I shouldn't..tropic cruising, no winters, no winter layup....ever
Old 27-01-2016, 09:14   #9

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Freeze Plug on Perkins

On my 100 Yanmar the freeze plug underneath the turbo elbow started seeping and since I was in Curacao far from parts houses for Yanmars I used permatex 3000 psi impervious to antifreeze and oil and sealed it. First drained the antifreeze so no wetness during application cured for 24 hours. Then sailed to St Croix 450 miles across the Carribe no leaks no probs. When I get to St Martin Ill visit my Mechanic and fix it good. In case you want to do it later.
Ernie: on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:22   #10

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

An old mechanic once told me bronze ones suffer from different expansion rates as the block gets hot & cold... better to use the steel ones.
Just belt a screw driver through the plug & lever it out. (no filings)
I've always known them as welch plugs?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 13:12   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

They are really casting plugs, allow the air to escape I believe when the block is cast, they are not there to prevent damage in a freeze, just got that name somehow.
The rubber one shouldn't be considered permanent, it may take ten years, but eventually that rubber will deteriorate, other than that, I know of no downside, I have used one in the past.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:19   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have used the all metal expandable plugs where it was impossible to hammer in a normal metal plug. It was still in there years later when I sold the ole' bucket. I think having a couple of each in your inventory could be good planning.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:32   #13

If you're going for the rubber expandable one make absolutely sure that the bore as well as the plug are clean and dry. If not , it will pop out.
I used one as a replacement for a corroded one in a car of mine and it kept popping out until I found out why; I had installed it in the wet bore. After dry install it held for the life of the vehicle.
techmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:49   #14

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're using the rubber plug as permanent, carry a spare. They don't last on diesels or car engines that run at higher temperatures. Freeze plugs are normally changed at a quality overhaul. Sometimes they live up to their name. They are not that hard to change.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 16:56   #15

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

A quick jab in the center with a screw driver ,then lever it out. Careful not to damage the edges of the hole.New steel easy to pop in clean dry hole (socket and hammer) Hole was where the sand came out after the block was cast. Available is a rubber plug with a built in block heater;kinda handy up north or any where in east US now that climate change is upon us.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, plug