Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2023, 09:08   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Frozen packing nut on prop shaft

The packing nut on my shaft is completely frozen. The lock nut can be loosened easily (as seen on the pic) but the packing nut won't turn on either direction. I have applied PB blaster and other penetrating oils a dozen times, have hit it with a cold chisel but it won't budge. Should I try a heat gun? Any precautions if I do that?

Also, when turning the packing nut I have to prevent the hose from turning as well, but that's tricky as the fitting is round. I've been using a pipe wrench with a rag to not damage it, but there must be a better way?

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	20230622_104307.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	277130

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 09:22   #2

Re: Frozen packing nut on prop shaft

Longer wrenches.

It looks like you have pretty good access. 24 or 36 inch pipe wrenches will almost surely break things free.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 09:35   #3

Boat: Hunter 36

I had the same problem a couple years ago, in fact you can read about it in this thread here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ox-234110.html

Bottom line is, I used PB Blaster, a heat gun, a comically big pipe wrench, and eventually the thing turned. I think helped after spraying to let PB Blaster sit overnight.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 11:20   #4

Boat: Passport 41

A heat gun did the trick! I still feel uncomfortable every time I have to use heat or extreme force, for fear of breaking things. Not exactly a good thing when your first boat is an old and not terribly well maintained one

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 15:24   #5

Have you tried “Areokroil”. (orange can) it is truly magic stuff and often succeeds when all other penetrants have failed. It is toxic as hell. Are sure you have a clear escape route before you use it. Then take a deep breath, saturate the nut and shaft, and get out of the bilge before you have to take a breath. Not let it sit overnight and, after airing out the bilge the next day, give it a try. Don’t be surprised if you apply too much torque and skin your knuckles when it spins off.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote